Help finding most simplified POS expression using Karnaugh Map

Guest32

Joined Jan 24, 2012
Hi everyone,

First off, thank you for the help from my 1st post. I am doing my next homework assignment and have the following problem:

F = A'BD + C'D' + A'CD + A'BC'+ABC'D'

I am not required to show all the steps, so I used an automatic Karnaugh map program and had it solve it for me. Here is what it gave:

F = (B+D') (B'D) (A'+B)
= (B+D')
= (B'+D)
= (A'+B)

This is the first time I have used a program like this, and I'm not sure I understand the way it is expressing the answer. Is it telling me that the final answer is F = (A'+B)? Can someone verify this for me please?

If it helps, and hopefully I am correct, here is how I drew my Karnaugh map:
1 0 0 1
0 1 1 0
0 1 1 0
0 0 0 0

I am not sure how to verify this since I am doing this for the first time. Hope to hear from someone!

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
You have mistyped the second sum. It is (B'+D).

What your software is trying to tell you is that F=(B+D') (B'+D) (A'+B) and that product contains the sums (B+D'), (B'+D) and (A'+B).

Guest32

Joined Jan 24, 2012
Ok, thank you so much! I'm glad I found this site, you guys are very helpful! I'll probably be here again next week with new questions :D

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
You may want to consider dumping the software and actually learn how to do this yourself. The problem you stated is elementary.

Someday, there may be a cataclysm and your 'tools' will not be available to you. Your brain will then be the only tool available. Learn to use it. :)