Help finding a M0265516 transistor

Michael Efanow

Joined Apr 4, 2016
Transistor substitution

Hi guys, I'll try to keep it brief and clear, I'm after a M0265516 in TO220 package. Or a suitable substitute. It's from the variable speed on my Bosch cordless drill that's about 12 years of age, the variable speed unexpectedly stopped working for no obvious reason. How you can help. Thanks Michael

Attachments

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Best I can tell it is an SCR.I can find them listed for sale for about $1.65 but "no longer in stock". Try most any SCR in a TO-220 case. What do you have to lose? It already doesn't work.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
I seriously doubt that it is an SCR for a DC variable speed controller. Probably, it is a house marked power transistor. Good pictures of the top and bottom of the speed controller will help in finding a substitute device.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
I seriously doubt that it is an SCR for a DC variable speed controller. Probably, it is a house marked power transistor. Good pictures of the top and bottom of the speed controller will help in finding a substitute device.
Not bad reasoning. I find it listed under Thyristors but can't see it being a triac.
So what damage can be done by plugging in an NPN, PNP or SCR?

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
Not bad reasoning. I find it listed under Thyristors but can't see it being a triac.
So what damage can be done by plugging in an NPN, PNP or SCR?
I would want to see a schematic, or at least the requested photos. Perhaps it is part of a PWM output and the OP can see a pulse train going into the device.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
Remove the device and test it to see if it is really bad. A lot of times, it is the printed potentiometer that is the problem. What is the number on the SOIC-8 part on the board?

Michael Efanow

Joined Apr 4, 2016
How can I test the printed pot?

The drill used to only run at full speed with near %100 trigger, it used to run slow from say %5 trigger and increase with more trigger. What's happening now is its running at full speed with %5 trigger and through to %100 trigger.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
How can I test the printed pot?

The drill used to only run at full speed with near %100 trigger, it used to run slow from say %5 trigger and increase with more trigger. What's happening now is its running at full speed with %5 trigger and through to %100 trigger.
If your drill is running at any speed, then there is nothing wrong with your transistor.

Clean off the grease from the linear pot area and see if there are resistance variation from one end to the other. There is a lot of carbon in the grease that has sluffed off the pot - possibly too much to make the control salvageable.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
The Mosfet (huf75339) is $1.70 each at Digi-key. Also just as a test, almost any N chan Mosfet would work.

My advise, spend a couple bucks and replace the Mosfet. If that doesn't fix it you can replace the trigger module (PN 2607200421, $46.24) or pitch the whole thing.