[Help-DESPERATE] LPC2318 board

d4n1s

Joined Dec 11, 2010
Hello guys, I know that everyone here is really busy to help me do this. But I am hopping there is someone out there that wouldn't mind to help me and probably other people in the future to make a board for LPC2318
My current board looks awful due to some changes I done when I was pissed off.
However here is a picture of how it looked like few days ago

I want to be able to program LPC2318 to function good and have 1 source of power... I wound't mind more but I prefer one. I also want to be able to use all the rest pins without problem.

Could anyone guide me on what extra my board needs? Where can you see any errors?

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Look at other break-out boards.

The way you are laying out your headers are.....no so good.

take a look at the UBW32. See how he did it? Do that. ish.

http://www.schmalzhaus.com/UBW32/

Using it like you have it, you wont be able to use it on a breadboard.

You want .1 inch spacing between pins. This fits most breadboard and perfboard holes as well as connectors and headers.

You will likely need a 2 sided board to route ALL those pins.
If you WONT use a 2 sided board, you will have to start jumpering ALL over the place.

d4n1s

Joined Dec 11, 2010
how do I make via? I search on google and it gives me visa results for a strange reason...
also I have been told that I must use a crystal oscillator where do I have to connect that?

Last edited:

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
how do I make via? I search on google and it gives me visa results for a strange reason...
also I have been told that I must use a crystal oscillator where do I have to connect that?
There should be a Place VIA option in you PCB design program.. If not, you need another program.

The datasheet will show you what pins to attach the crystal oscillator and associated capacitors to. It is different for most all micros.

d4n1s

Joined Dec 11, 2010
There should be a Place VIA option in you PCB design program.. If not, you need another program.

The datasheet will show you what pins to attach the crystal oscillator and associated capacitors to. It is different for most all micros.
The datasheet doesn't say or at least I can't find it. Also I mean like how do I make a via on my board? Do I have to use any other material than solder iron, like gold for less resistance? is there any tutorial on how to build one on a board?

d4n1s

Joined Dec 11, 2010
Thanks once again. I am sorry for my late response I have been working on the board and reading the manual. Well I have made something. First of I have a typo in my original post it is lpc2138. Sorry once again.

Here are the pictures from the board. I have only added crystal oscilator, I don't understand much from the user manual or where it says where to add capacitors resistance or anything else. I found the crystal oscylator schematic though and it was really helpful. But instead of connecting the capacitor to battery gnd I connected them to the chip gnd which is then connected to the battery gnd.

Tell me what to fix even the smallest thing like the wideness of the tracks or anything else would help! Thx!

image1
image2
image3

d4n1s

Joined Dec 11, 2010
dont have any argument against but as I have already bought the chip, doesn't sound that profitable to buy a development board as well.

d4n1s

Joined Dec 11, 2010
I will use jtag as u can see in the picture, I just want to make a board like arduino for instance. You just power it up and have like 10 or so input/output pins available on the board. Without having to attach on protoboard capacitor and other components to make a simple speed controller work...

d4n1s

Joined Dec 11, 2010
I am so confused from the schematic u gave me. It is overloaded with components that I don't need. And I don't know what to remove.....

All I want is to be able to program it with jtag and use i/o pins. I think the pull ups and pull downs on jtag are used because the distance from processor is greater than 3cm. Anyways do u know where I have to add capacitors and/or resistors