Help: Convert DC 4 pin Din into 5.5mm connector

Sinh Nguyen

Joined Sep 28, 2019
Hi All

I have a psu 19V 180W with 4 pin Din type connector and I wish to change the connector into a 5.5 mm type. Please see pictures attached.
The cable has 4 wires and it has 2 Negative and 2 Positive wires, the 5.5mm has only 3 wires (Red, Black, White).
Should I solder 2 Negative wires to the - Black wire , 2 Positive wires to the + Red of the 5.5mm and leave the White wire alone ?
Thanks for your help.

Tony

IMG_20190929_111243.jpg IMG_20190929_111453.jpg

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
Normally this type of DC plugs have only 2 poles... plus and minus. You can use an ohm-meter to find out where the third wire goes to...

Allen

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
It could have two wires for both positive and negative for two reasons. First it could just have the two wires in parallel to reduce the voltage drop due to the resistance of the wires. It could be using remote voltage sensing. Two wires will carry the power and the other two will feedback the actual voltage at the connector. Are the wires connected in parallel in the 4 pin connector or do they go to 4 pins with no links between them ? If they are paralled in the 4 pin connector then just do the same with the two pin connector. If not then some more investigation is required.
Les.

Sinh Nguyen

Joined Sep 28, 2019
Normally this type of DC plugs have only 2 poles... plus and minus. You can use an ohm-meter to find out where the third wire goes to...

Allen
The 5.5mm is just a spare one I have and it seems to fit in the printer's power well. I may try to find another plug with 2 wires.
The story is the power supply was from an old computer and I intend to use it for my printer which uses the same power as the computer but printer has different plug (5.5mm).
I know very basic electronic therefore no idea how to check or test these things.
Many thanks.
Tony

Sinh Nguyen

Joined Sep 28, 2019
It could have two wires for both positive and negative for two reasons. First it could just have the two wires in parallel to reduce the voltage drop due to the resistance of the wires. It could be using remote voltage sensing. Two wires will carry the power and the other two will feedback the actual voltage at the connector. Are the wires connected in parallel in the 4 pin connector or do they go to 4 pins with no links between them ? If they are paralled in the 4 pin connector then just do the same with the two pin connector. If not then some more investigation is required.
Les.
Hi Les
I measured the 4 pin plug and each pair showed 19V. I think they are parallel. This psu was from an old computer. I plan to use it for my printer which uses the same voltage and ampere, just different plug.
May be I find another 5.5mm plug with 2 wires as Allen mentioned above.
Very much appreciate for your advise.
Tony