Help! Cant get this circuit to work any ideas? Thanks

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Evan18, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Evan18

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Any ideas on why i cant get this circuit to work?

2. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Nope.
    But then I have little idea of what it's supposed to do or what the components are. :rolleyes:

3. Evan18

Nov 14, 2016
    I cant get the potentiometer to function as a variable resistor. the LED is just for a visual. And yes it is a 555 timer.

4. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Describe your observations. How do know your pot is not working? What does the circuit do or not do?

5. Evan18

Nov 14, 2016
    The LED is for visual proof if my pot was working i should be able to increase and decrease blink speed. I can do neither.

6. Evan18

Nov 14, 2016
    Im new to this and this is not my design. somebody used these measurements for the same function i intend to. i know im using a 10k trim pot instead of a 150k. Could that cause the led speed not to change? What about the order i place the wires to my prototype board? other than that power supply and components are fine.

7. Evan18

Nov 14, 2016
    It flashes just at a slow rate that i cant adjust using my trim pot. i can tell it flashes once anout every 5 seconds and cant be adjusted with the trim pot

8. Evan18

Nov 14, 2016
    I should be getting a higher frequency which will cause the light to blink faster correct? Now when i plug my trim pot in the LED doesnt light up but when i remove the trim pot it does.

9. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Sounds like a wiring error then. Have you used the correct pinout for the pot? Usually the middle pin of three is the wiper, but you should check.

10. Dodgydave

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 22, 2012
    Have you got a voltmeter or dvm, you can check if its working better,, your circuit shows there are (two pin 7) the breadboard looks correct,

to check if the chip is working, temporarily link pins 1,2 together and the led should light continously,

then link pins 2,4 together the led should go out.