Help bypassing volume pentiometer on creative Itrigue 3600 control

Snarfff

Joined Apr 23, 2021
Hello,
My speakers finally cut out on me, it seemed to be the volume switch from constant wiggle tests. Read on the forum here for another model that you can bypass the volume switch altogether which I'm hoping will return function to the speakers. I really have no knowledge/experience in electronic repair, so replacing the switch would be tough for me.
Can't find any schematics to help and have no idea which cables run where and which I should look to short.

Hoping someone can help out with some basic instruction.
I know photos will be required and will post them tomorrow.

Appreciate any help!
Thanks.

And please forgive the typo up top - potentiometer, can't find how to edit the subject : /

Snarfff

Joined Apr 23, 2021
Ok - here are the photos of the wires and the back circuit.
If I understand it correctly, I need to identify the wires that connect to the volume potentiometer and bypass those connections by cutting and attaching specific wires to each other.
Again, I can't find any schematics and have no idea how to identify the wire connections and really hope someone will be willing to help out : )

Let me know if any more info is required and I look forward to any replies.
Thanks.

Attachments

Snarfff

Joined Apr 23, 2021
hey thanks for the reply!
does it help that if it's plugged in to a pc I'll be able to control the volume and just keep it low? I had read that bypassing would set the volume to max, I hadn't thought about possible distortion though.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
The distortion will be the same as before. Massive distortion if the output volume is too high.
Turn down the pc volume and the distortion will be low.

Snarfff

Joined Apr 23, 2021
Right. Well, I'm still tempted to give it a try as the speakers are useless otherwise.
I suppose the right thing to do would be to replace the volume control. It's labelled B50K - any idea where I'd be able to find a spare part to fit and would it be a simple job of removing the solder/part and re-soldering the new one?
Also, is there a test I could complete (voltmeter?) prior to confirm that it's only the volume control that is causing issue and the rest is ok?

Thanks again for any help!