[HELP] Batteries charger design

johnmus

Joined Jan 5, 2022
Hi everyone, i want to design batteries charger circuit isolated with 220v AC source and might have arduino, led to display status. So, could you recommend me some books or articles to design it?. Thank you for your time.

Dave Lowther

Joined Sep 8, 2016
i want to design batteries charger circuit isolated with 220v AC source and might have arduino, led to display status.
I'm no expert on battery charging, but before anyone here can help you I think you need to provide more information.
What type of batteries do you want to charge? Battery tech (LiPo, Lead Acid, Nimh, etc), voltage of battery, capacity in (m)Ah of battery.
How many batteries do you want to charge at the same time?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
To charge batteries safely you need to follow specific charging profiles. These profiles depend on battery chemistry/size. Improper charging, particularly of lithium-based batteries, can have serious consequences, e.g. fire or explosion. Check out charging advice at Battery University.

johnmus

Joined Jan 5, 2022
I'm no expert on battery charging, but before anyone here can help you I think you need to provide more information.
What type of batteries do you want to charge? Battery tech (LiPo, Lead Acid, Nimh, etc), voltage of battery, capacity in (m)Ah of battery.
How many batteries do you want to charge at the same time?
Thank you sir. Right now i don't know this battery supplying for specific load. Because i think i could choose the requirements later if i know the way to design it. But my desire is that i could apply it for small projects like controlling a car toy or a robot toy

Last edited:

Dave Lowther

Joined Sep 8, 2016
Right now i don't know this battery supplying for specific load. Because i think i could choose the requirements later if i know the way to design it. But my desire is that i could apply it for small projects like controlling a car toy or a robot toy
Nobody can help you with specific design details until you decide more details about the batteries you want to charge.
In very general terms I expect you will need a circuit like this:
1641396314559.png
Until you decide more details it's not possible to choose the transformer output voltage or current rating. Similarly for the bridge rectifier. The most unknown part is the circuit that will be required for controlling the charging voltage / current.