Help- ABB Steam meter

ShaunCroman

Joined Feb 18, 2022
Hi

Hoping someone can help. I have a Meter that gives a 24v Pulsed output. I need to connect this to a transmitter that normally connects to a volt free connection to get it's pulse signal.
The Meter is an ABB Vortex swirlmaster- Anyone come across this before?

Is this was for Hart connection I wouldn't have the problem but circumstances mean that I have to connect to the pulse transmitter.
The pulse transmitter has a 3.6v battery

Last edited by a moderator:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
This seems like a good place for an opto-isolator along with a series resistor to limit the current, or possibly a solid state relay, depending on the pulse rate.
Unfortunately we have no information about the pulse rate or it's current capability, nor about the open circuit voltage of the device that is intended to receive a contact closure input. At least I guess that is what a "volt free input" means. It might be that the statement about having a 3.6 volt battery is supposed to tell me what the input terminal voltage is.
And evidently the engineer is not an electrical engineer.

ShaunCroman

Joined Feb 18, 2022
This seems like a good place for an opto-isolator along with a series resistor to limit the current, or possibly a solid state relay, depending on the pulse rate.
Unfortunately we have no information about the pulse rate or it's current capability, nor about the open circuit voltage of the device that is intended to receive a contact closure input. At least I guess that is what a "volt free input" means. It might be that the statement about having a 3.6 volt battery is supposed to tell me what the input terminal voltage is.
And evidently the engineer is not an electrical engineer.
Thanks MisterBill2

I was considering something like this (only 24V version which I am trying to find)
Optical Isolator Module, Voltage to Current Converter Module 12V 80KHz 1 Channel Isolated Current Converter Board PC817 EL817 PLC Processors : Amazon.co.uk: Business, Industry & Science

And true I am principally a software engineer and I usually deal with Modbus/profibus etc rather than this level- hence the post.

Thanks for the reply

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
That amazon offering is a lot more complex than you need, probably. And with only two components the opto-isolator assembly can probably fit inside the flowmeter housing and be well protected.