Help a newbie with a question on very small AC motor

Boytoreckonwith

Joined Dec 15, 2017
So, I'm nervous to just experiment with this because it was my wife's (passed) grandma's. While she admits it was a cheap trinket, it means a lot to her. It was an optical flower. It had a AC bulb and AC motor that had a step down transformer. The bulb blew and I couldn't fine a replacement so I bought an LED bulb and LED driver. The problem is that the original bulb was in series, but I had to wire the LED driver pre-transformer. Obviously there is nothing to add resistance to the motor side, which now goes 2 or 3 times faster than it used to. SO THE QUESTION IS.... Do I just need to add resistance in series to the motor (and if so what type/Ohm would you recommend) to slow the motor back down? I'm in over my head. Any ideas?

Please excuse the crude wiring job.

Attachments

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Do you know the rating of the of the original bulb. (Voltage, wattage, current) Do you have a picture of the original bulb. The LED bulb in your picture looks like it is about the same size as a MR16 halogen bulb. These are normally 12 volts and come in 20, 35 and 50 wattratings. Have you measured the secondary voltage ofthe transformer ?

Les.

Boytoreckonwith

Joined Dec 15, 2017
Do you know the rating of the of the original bulb. (Voltage, wattage, current) Do you have a picture of the original bulb. The LED bulb in your picture looks like it is about the same size as a MR16 halogen bulb. These are normally 12 volts and come in 20, 35 and 50 wattratings. Have you measured the secondary voltage ofthe transformer ?

Les.
The original bulb is long gone, but it had no markings. It was getting 12v off the transformer.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
I think the trial and error method is going to be the quickest method as you cannot provide any information to estimate a suitable value for the seriies resistance. I would suggest starting with about 47 ohms and adjust up or down untill you get the correct speed.

Les.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If it is a AC motor then not much use reading the motor resistance, you would need to read the mean running current to calculate a resistor.
Max.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
You are not being very helpful. I have seen screw type bulbs from LES size (5.1mm Dia.) up to one about 45mm on a large projector lamp.

Les.

Boytoreckonwith

Joined Dec 15, 2017
Finding the correct bulb would be the easiest thing to get this back up and running. Does the item have a manufactures name and model number?

A sample list of miniature base screw type bulbs, called an E10 base.
https://www.bulbs.com/Light_Bulbs/Miniature_Screw_(E10)-Bulb_Base/results.aspx
Okay, so I actually hadn't thought of replacing the bulb and rewiring it to original. I switched to LED/Driver because all I could find was bulbs rated for DC. Can I use a 12v DC bulb on the AC?