Hello, And my first question about current.

Rbelec

Joined Sep 28, 2016
Hi Everyone, I'm a new student in electronics. I just purchased a power supply and I'm learning how to use it.

I found that when I adjust the current knob on the power supply, I get a 0 reading on the screen. When I connect a multimeter, I am able to get a current reading from 0-3 A, as it should be according to the spec on the power supply.. It seems to complete the circuit when I connect the meter. Then I created a simple circuit with 2 resistors and some wire. I found that as I connected the meter in various places, I would get a reading of .01A on the meter and a 0 with a blinking minus sign on the power supply, no matter what I did with the current knob.. What is happening here?
-Ryan

Rbelec

Joined Sep 28, 2016
I think I figured it out. Not enough current is being supplied for the meter reading. Lets try upping the voltage..Yep, that was it!

twiese86

Joined Sep 29, 2016
Think of current like the flow of water through a pipe, except instead of water, you're flowing electrons. Voltage can be equated through pressure that the water exerts on the ID of the pipe(although this is a slight oversimplification). Without the meter connected, there is no pipe, therefore no current flow. Which is why your indicator is zero.