Heatless (cold) Toner Transfer

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I like it a lot but you have to be careful to select a paper that will not swell/stretch when wetted with the solution. That is not so important for circuits with small components but the pads on longer chip or connector (10 or 20 pins per side) may get out of registration.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I like it a lot but you have to be careful to select a paper that will not swell/stretch when wetted with the solution. That is not so important for circuits with small components but the pads on longer chip or connector (10 or 20 pins per side) may get out of registration.
I figure that much but I was such how good the results would be but worth a shot atleast for a possible better method.. My local dollar store has polaroid glossy printer picture paper and comes in 2 size and mught see how that works..

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Not trying to make another thread but has anyone tried using a Brother laser jet on Thermal Transfer method ???

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Not trying to make another thread but has anyone tried using a Brother laser jet on Thermal Transfer method ???
They prove to be superior to HP if you have 20 mil traces. The ink is thick, transfers easily. However, the thick ink does get compressed and creep if too much pressure is used when heating.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Also the Brother toner needs a higher temperature to "melt" and transfer. That's the biggest reason people don't use Brother printers for TT.

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
Yes, I have a brother HL2130 and have had excellent transfer results with it. also by setting the contrast to maximum, I only need one layer when using transparency film. The type used for OHP's

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
I figure that much but I was such how good the results would be but worth a shot atleast for a possible better method.. My local dollar store has polaroid glossy printer picture paper and comes in 2 size and mught see how that works..
I have used all sorts of high gloss papers and the best I've found for toner transfer method is the cheapest gloss paper. It was woolworths own brand, it did not have multiple sublimation layers for normal ink printing, rather just one layer of some sort of plastic coating which easily peels off the paper when wet and then by rubbing with the end of a finger, leaves just the toner on the pcb.
I used a slightly different method which worked very well, place the the dry paper carefully aligned on the pcb, spray brake cleaner (don't breath the stuff in) on the back of the paper and wait about 30 secs then carefully apply downward pressure with a firm sponge for about 2-3 mins leave to fully evaporate for 15 mins or so, then soak in warm slightly soap water (lowers the surface tension and gives better wetting) then wipe off the dissolved paper.
I now prefer to use photo etch for fine tracks as I often need more than one pcb. I make a mask to fit the pcb on my home made U.V exposure light box which is held in place with masking tape.