Headphone Pocket Amplifier Help

breakiron

Joined Feb 9, 2014
Hey Guys, I'm in "Digital Systems" this semester,(sophomore level course) and we must complete a final project that obviously has relation to the subject. The project must have logic. My professor approved me to build a "Headphone Pocket Amplifier", but he said I must "add" something. He said "make it more interesting". To my knowledge, there isn't any logic in a pocket amplifier schematic using IC's.

I need help on ideas to what I could add to spice up this amplifier. How can I implement some logic.

If there isn't much hope for that, any project ideas would definitely help out.

Thanks!

breakiron

Joined Feb 9, 2014
I apologize for posting in wrong section.

I'm not sure what you mean by selector? Or turn on right, left or both. Could you please explain?

I might sound crazy but is it realistic to add another circuit to the amplifier? Such as security circuit in order to open the amplifier?

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
How about having the circuit test the impedance of the headphones that are plugged into it and set the volume accordingly so the listener gets the same perceived level with each earbud or headphone they plug in without having to adjust the volume manually.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I don't think that will work, KJ. You can accomplish providing the same amount of power to several transducers but the efficiency of audio transducers (db/W) varies widely.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
I don't think that will work, KJ. You can accomplish providing the same amount of power to several transducers but the efficiency of audio transducers (db/W) varies widely.
I know, but in most cases it would probably be in the ball park and at the least, it would be a good student project.

BytetoEat

Joined Mar 5, 2014
you could do something like an lcd dB value, which you would have to calibrate somehow.. but that would be pretty cool to know exactly the level your ears are getting. With ppl listening loud a lot this could give you direct feedback to be safe!

breakiron

Joined Feb 9, 2014
I know, but in most cases it would probably be in the ball park and at the least, it would be a good student project.
KJ ... Is there somewhere online I could look in order to complete that? Extra components or whatever I may need?

This sounds like a great idea and I believe I will learn and take a lot from doing it. I'm fairly new at all of this and would appreciate some steps I would need to take in order to get going in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

breakiron

Joined Feb 9, 2014
What would I add to the circuit of the pocket amplifier? Any suggestions of a circuit for the amplifier?

I was looking at the IC: TDA8559T made by Phillips.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Maybe you can research the range of impedances of typical headphones and ear buds, circuits for testing inductance, digital volume controls and microcontrollers.

grages

Joined May 6, 2014
I know this is a month old thread. I would add a mixer to the amp buy splitting the signals into 2 LM386 audio amp and having them controlled by a pair of Digital Potentiometers controlled by a couple of buttons to increase/decrease(need a microprocessor in here also) the signals then recombine them on the output jack.

I'm new to this stuff but lots of folks like to turn up the bass, etc.

Oh yea, first post, great forum.