Having an issue with no power in a single room.

Alexiz

Joined Feb 11, 2018
image.jpg Hey all, I am having and issue at home. My cell phone charger was in an outlet next to my bed and it was coming loose. The USB came unplugged and touched the connectors and made a popping sound. The entire room lost power. I don’t know anything about electricity, just that when you lose power in a room, you typically go to the circuit breaker box. I did and noticed that none of the circuit breakers were off. I also noticed that they all had labels, kitchen, master bedroom, baths, etc. But, neither of the other 2 rooms were labeled on there. I live in a pretty old apartment complex. Any ideas? Thanks!

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
View attachment 145712 Hey all, I am having and issue at home. My cell phone charger was in an outlet next to my bed and it was coming loose. The USB came unplugged and touched the connectors and made a popping sound. The entire room lost power. I don’t know anything about electricity, just that when you lose power in a room, you typically go to the circuit breaker box. I did and noticed that none of the circuit breakers were off. I also noticed that they all had labels, kitchen, master bedroom, baths, etc. But, neither of the other 2 rooms were labeled on there. I live in a pretty old apartment complex. Any ideas? Thanks!
This is an interesting situation. The first thing that I suggest is that sometimes a breaker can trip and it is not obvious. So the first attempt would be to switch each breaker off and then back on, and see if that solves the problem. After that the diagnostics get a lot more complicated. But you stated that you live in an apartment complex, which means that in theory there is a maintenance person who will fix it for you. I came across a similar situation a month ago, in that a number of outlets in a house went dead but the circuit breaker had not tripped. In that case the problem was a loose wire under a screw on one outlet. So in your case it may have been a problem with that outlet that was "coming loose." In the case that I experienced sparking had destroyed the back part of the outlet and burned the insulation off some of the wires. So I suggest seeing if you can arrange for the maintenance person to take a look at it. AND also, make sure that the batteries in your smoke detectors are all fresh! If it was your own house I would make some service suggestions.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Yes, get a qualified electrician to check things. Poking around without knowledge can be very dangerous!
I hope you got it fixed ok.