Having a microprocessor directly connecting to web

alphacat

Joined Jun 6, 2009
Hello.

I'd like to pass data from a microprocessor directly to the web and to receive data from the web directly to the microprocessor.
So far I used the following configuration:

I dont have much knowledge on web communication.
I'm looking for a low-cost way to enable the microprocessor to pass data to the web and to receive data from the web. (I dont the microprocessor to be connected to the PC in order to transfer/receive data to/from the web).

The data-rate doesnt need to be high.
Currently, the data-rate is 115,200bps, and i'm satisfied with that.

I'd appreciate your advising.

Thank you.

Attachments

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
What microprocessor are you currently using? There are microprocessors/microcontrollers with built-in ethernet port, if yours don't have one, you can try an ethernet module and implement the protocol yourself. It would be a lot easier if we know which processor you are talking about.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
You might want to also consider one of the mcus that runs UNIX. It might be a lot easier than trying to reinvent the wheel.

alphacat

Joined Jun 6, 2009
You will need to follow the TCP/IP protocol for the communications - http://www.jbmelectronics.com/product/tcp.htm

Here is a link for an open source TCP/IP stack for 8 bit microprocessors - http://www.sics.se/~adam/uip/index.php/Main_Page

And a link for microprocessors with embedded ethernet - http://www.microcontroller.com/Embedded_Ethernet/
Thank you very much fellow.
I read the TCP/IP tutorial which was excellent!
What I'd like to accomplish is to have a microcontroller interfacing to the web wirelessly, and not through an Ethernet cable as was described in the mentioned tutorial.
Is there any tutorial that deals with that?

n9352527 said:
What microprocessor are you currently using? There are microprocessors/microcontrollers with built-in ethernet port, if yours don't have one, you can try an ethernet module and implement the protocol yourself. It would be a lot easier if we know which processor you are talking about.
I'm using a 8051 microcontroller from TI.

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
By wireless, do you mean WiFi? There are WiFi modules available that can be connected directly to a microcontroller. For examples these modules from Digi. You will have to check that the stacks in these devices support the protocols and securities of your WiFi internet provider. If you have your own WiFi AP/router and connect to the internet through modem line, you could pretty much set your own protocol/securities, so there would be minimal problems.

alphacat

Joined Jun 6, 2009
Hey, thank you for helping me.

I'd like to be able to communicate using the internet with the 8051 microcontroller i got.
Just like your mobile phone can transmit and receive data to and from the internet, I want my Uc to be able to do so.
How is - Having Uc wirelessly connected to internet - called in professional terms?

Currently, i'm just looking for tutorials on this.
I shall say that i already got an 8051 Uc from TI, and I cant use another one since the whole project is based on this Uc.

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
Now, that is not WiFi. Mobile phone use either GPRS for low data rate or 3G service, like HSDPA, for high data rate. You need a GSM modem module and a regular mobile account that support at least GPRS. Something like the Telit modules.

xixihaha

Joined Feb 6, 2010
Your configuration map makes me confused, you wana uC communication with web wirelessly, but you use lines or cables to contect your uC with PC???

I suppose you want to use wireless communication with PC which has a link to web. Under that circumstance, you could use WiFi, zigbee, bluetooth solutions. I don't know if this answer your question