Has my circuit gone bad or not?

Po Tato

Joined Jan 21, 2018
Hi,
I'm trying to repair my Opel Astra G key fob. Looks like the battery doesn't actually power the circuit. I tried to solder the highlighted parts to the battery, but the solder doesnt actually stick to the circuit. I think that is because there is no copper pads on the board. If that is the problem, is there any way I can repair it or do I have to replace the whole circuit?
Thanks to whoever considers to help.

Pics: https://imgur.com/a/KMCBI

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hi,
I'm trying to repair my Opel Astra G key fob. Looks like the battery doesn't actually power the circuit. I tried to solder the highlighted parts to the battery, but the solder doesnt actually stick to the circuit. I think that is because there is no copper pads on the board. If that is the problem, is there any way I can repair it or do I have to replace the whole circuit?
Thanks to whoever considers to help.

Pics: https://imgur.com/a/KMCBI
Try asking a helper to hold a coin or oThe conductor across the gap and then check that it works. If so, you may be able to wedge something in there or spend some extra effort to get it fixed. If you cannot get it to work, the fob has other problems.

Also, some cars have an outlet to plug the whole fob into in case the battery is dead. Does your car have one? If so, does it work with that fob?

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
It seems unusual to have two connections to one side of the cell. Are you sure that one should not be on the other side of the cell ? If you can see a connection underneath the cell when it is removed removed then it is probably correct the way it is.

Les.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
It seems unusual to have two connections to one side of the cell. Are you sure that one should not be on the other side of the cell ? If you can see a connection underneath the cell when it is removed removed then it is probably correct the way it is.

Les.
Devices using button cells often have connection on the side and top so it looks like the are next to each other.

Po Tato

Joined Jan 21, 2018
Try asking a helper to hold a coin or oThe conductor across the gap and then check that it works. If so, you may be able to wedge something in there or spend some extra effort to get it fixed. If you cannot get it to work, the fob has other problems.

Also, some cars have an outlet to plug the whole fob into in case the battery is dead. Does your car have one? If so, does it work with that fob?
Not sure if this car model has an outlet.

Les.
Pretty sure both the connections are on the same side of the cell.