Harvesting power from opening a garage door

arjfca

Joined Sep 12, 2013
Hello

First post here. Not sure if it is the appropriate forum

The goal: Having a wifi garage door opening electronic controlor (Arduino type) that will be self sustained by recharging a 18650 battery using a kynetic force from the door movement .

Any idea or suggestion on how it could be done?

Martin
Excuse my English... More fluent in French

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I don't see a practical, low-cost way to do that.
Why not just use a power supply to power it from the door opener power?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Suitably sized PM DC motor as a generator?
Driven off of door open/close motion operator of some kind but would also require need for mechanical reversal of motor generator or a clutch to only allow generation on UP or DOWN.
May not be worth the effort? ;)
Max.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
What you are suggesting is not possible. The power used to open the door will be more than the power you could harvest from the door opening.
Regards,
Keith

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I took it that the OP wanted to recharge a battery that was a separate remote physically operated section to the AC door electrics itself?
Max.

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
Typically, the potential energy of the heavy garage door is actually stored in a large diameter coil spring as it is lowered to ground level. A rotating bar at the top of the door is configured so that the coil spring is 'wound' as the door drops and subsequently 'unwound' as the door is raised. In effect, the energy stored in the spring gives an assist in force required to raise the door, allowing a smaller amount of energy to be supplied by the electric motor. ... Ergo ... Smaller motor, smaller electric bill.
Without the large coil spring, a great deal more energy would be required to lift the door, and every time the door was closed, it would likely come crashing down to the floor.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Maybe they could put a beam and pendulum on it? There was a big mess last summer about how that could harvest energy. The vibration from the door moving could make the pendulum swing and move the beam. Many members here bought into the idea when the post was active back then.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Typically, the potential energy of the heavy garage door is actually stored in a large diameter coil spring as it is lowered to ground level.
From what I gather, the OP requires a small charging source derived from the door action, this has nothing to do with the power required to raise and lower the door.
If I understand it, all he needs is a source of energy to re charge a battery. Using a device attached to the door motion etc.
Max.