Hard disk repairing

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I don´t think you will get any replies like that. Very few people in the world actually repair hard disks, and even less repair the PCBs.

Some companies are able to disassemble the disk and read the data from the platters, or they sometimes swap the pcb for another if they can get it. Seriously, how do you want to troubleshoot a modern hard disk pcb without any documentation whatsoever?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Sometimes you can put a HDD in a refrigerator overnight, and then be able to read the data from it before it dies.

HDD's only have about a 5 year useful life, as the media loses its' magnetization. Not all parts of the media get refreshed when writes are done, and it's those parts that don't get written that cause the failure.

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
If you have a dead disk drive with no damage to the disk itself, you can get the data back for a moderate cost. If the disk is damaged or the head is jammed, it'll probably have to be dismantled in a clean room. I know someone who did this, and it came to $700, but he did get almost all the data back. Plus the service included a new USB-linked portable drive to put the data on (the old disk drive was trash).

Best plan is back up early, back up often.

orbiter

Joined Jun 17, 2010
Not sure whether it's 100% true as I've not actually tried it myself but, I have heard of folk on extreme overclockers forums etc being able to recover data from, and even re-use a HDD with pcb failure by replacing the pcb with a pcb from the exact same model of drive.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Not sure whether it's 100% true as I've not actually tried it myself but, I have heard of folk on extreme overclockers forums etc being able to recover data from, and even re-use a HDD with pcb failure by replacing the pcb with a pcb from the exact same model of drive.
Yes that is true, but the pcb can be quite hard to get for older models that are likely to fail about now.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
You need to be positively sure that the failure is in the PCB (or in the HDD).

Unless you are in the business of recovering expensive (important) data you will surely success in only one thing: wasting a LOT of your time with results that hardly could apply to the next case.

Yes, back up often, back up early, back up using different / separate disks and you will loose little, if any, data. Been there...

It is possible that you may have issue with hard disk due to infection in your computer system. The infection may be a virus, spyware or malware that can damage data on your hard disk and make it corrupted.

In regards to spyware and malware, you will need to be on your toes when it comes to the newest forms of spyware because these Spyware creators are constantly changing their applications in order to prevent detection. A good source for information about spyware removal I highly recommend on checking out which gives you the know-how on almost all aspects of spyware is called spyware-removal.org. The site’s goal is to provide the average user the ultimate anti-spyware technology to get rid of spyware in a safe and secure manner. Click on the link or just copy the url to your browser

http://www.removal-spyware.org/remove-wolfram-antivirus/

Good luck on removing all spyware.

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
Hmm, somene's first post recommends a particular commercial vendor. Do you have a financial relationship with this company?

I found an odd problem with SATA drives.
Just occasionally my SATA drive wont start up.
If I swap the motherboard SATA connector to another socket I find it them starts up.
Worth a try ?