hard disk capacity.

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
hi everybody,
please move this topic if its not fit fit for this section.

i've been wanting to buy an ata hdd (since no sata slot on motherboard)
with a high capacity 160 GB - 200 GB or higher (hey 160-200 does not mean-40 here :) )
the problem is i dont know whether my motherboard wud support that much
capacity (845gebv2 intel ) ,is there such an issue?
i already have 80 GB which i wud like to keep as pri slave.(i m such a slave driver:D )
(In world of multimedia how much is too much?:eek: )
i tried to look on intel site abt motherboard hd capacity, all they talk about increasing the speed to abt 100mbps im not concerned abt that right now.
other spec of pc are
640 MB ram, 2.4 ghz p-4,
5200 fx agp 8x,but runs at 4x due to bus limitation.

i m not planning to change motherboard,because its been quite sturdy
unlike the ones available in market today (yeah call me skeptical or cynical)
also it wud cause an avalanche of purchases like pci ex card,
dual core processor with pinless tech and everything else.

btw does asus mb's have any know issues with any program or is it a myth.

i think i didnt help my point with that long question.so in one line.
is there an upper limit on hard disk memory supported by a motherboard?

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
If it supported 80GB, it would support 200GB. A long time ago there used to be a limit of around 2GB, but all modern motherboards now support LBA extension which allow bigger harddisk. Yours included. Just make sure that you at least have XP SP2, otherwise you might not see the full drive capacity.

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
Some motherboards have an upper limit around 128 Gb... and So do FAT32 versions of windows.
I would guess that any PC modern enough to be running quicker than 2GHz and Xp SP2 would be fine beyond that limit.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
As an additional, I would recommend (if possible) that you look at reformatting to NTFS as opposed to FAT32. There is a limitation to the max file size on FAT32 - I know some people have had issues with when backing-up or cloning to a FAT32 formatted HD.

Dave

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
yes i have heard that for fat 32 systems have a max file size limited to 4 gb
hence probably a dvd iso when saved gives error 'not enough disk space;
thanks MR dave , but i like fat32 system for i believe it to be more stable ofcourse i might be wrong but i m a sceptic.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
yes i have heard that for fat 32 systems have a max file size limited to 4 gb
hence probably a dvd iso when saved gives error 'not enough disk space;
thanks MR dave , but i like fat32 system for i believe it to be more stable ofcourse i might be wrong but i m a sceptic.
If it works for you, then it works.

I would say that NTFS is (claimed to be) faster, more reliable and more secure due to access control lists which protects objects housed within the HD space. IIRC NTFS is only available on Windows NT variant OSes and not on MS-DOS based variants, therefore there is the advantage of backwards compatibility with older OSes.

Dave

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
I must admit to still using FAT32 (and using HORROR HORROR Win98se). The 4 Gb file limitation isn't a problem with DVD ISO files, as most DVD write programs automatically split the ISO into sub 4G sections.
I am however stuck with the 127Gb Drive limitation... as I found to my distress when a week after partitioning a 160Gb drive into 2 smaller drives (I thought this would overcome the limit) as I filled up the second partition I lost the OS on the 1st.
I have resigned my current system to using multiple 120Gb drives.
Next U/G will be NTFS I think...... Although that might be a bit Space Age around here.... I still think DOS is a great OS.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I must admit to still using FAT32 (and using HORROR HORROR Win98se). The 4 Gb file limitation isn't a problem with DVD ISO files, as most DVD write programs automatically split the ISO into sub 4G sections.
I am however stuck with the 127Gb Drive limitation... as I found to my distress when a week after partitioning a 160Gb drive into 2 smaller drives (I thought this would overcome the limit) as I filled up the second partition I lost the OS on the 1st.
I have resigned my current system to using multiple 120Gb drives.
Next U/G will be NTFS I think...... Although that might be a bit Space Age around here.... I still think DOS is a great OS.
Windows 98SE and DOS! Next you'll be saying you intend upgrading to Windows ME! Although I knew there was a drive limitation with FATxx I wasn't aware of the exact sizes. Also most cloning packages will automatically work around the 4.7GB limitation for FAT32 partitions, making it transparent to the end user.

Dave

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
my motherboard is the 845GEBV2.....
does it not have SATA compatibility??
and what capacity HDD should i purchase??

no friend, it does not have SATA support.

i recently purchased a 250GB HDD and it works fine with my previous 80GB HDD as primary slave. from previous replies here and my experience i wud say it can support larger capacity ones too.