Happy Thanks Giving!

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
For those outside the United States this is a big holiday here. We fix our favorite foods, feast, and sit back an relax. It is a day to give thanks for all we have received, and visit with friends and family. While not primarily a religious holiday, it does have religious overtones. It is a day people of all faiths to thank God for his blessings.

There are foods prepared that are not eaten the rest of the year. I have a Turkey roasting in the oven as I type (I'm the cook). We have sweet potatoes and marshmallows, which I can't stand but my kids love, Dressing and stuffing (which I love), giblet gravy (I like gravy, but am ambivalent of giblets). If you don't know what giblets are, don't ask.

There is green bean casserole, cranberry jelly, mashed potatoes, rolls, celery, and for those who can't wait fruits, nuts, and candy laid out for before the meal. Since I am diabetic and some of the guests are also lots of sugar free candy.

Then there is desert. In my case lots of pie (no sugar added), pumpkin, cherry, apple, and chocolate.

If you celibate Thanks Giving, may it be special for your and yours.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Saw a neat show last night on Modern Marvels about Butterball turkeys. Not sure I will enjoy them again. Bottom line, 50% bigger, 30% dumber (really). May go with wild turkey next year from my "farm." I had prime, first-cut veal chops, Brussels sprouts, fried eggplant, and salad. Plus a "little" Carmenere. My son got home from Lesotho last night after 2 years with the Peace Corps. It was a surprise; he was not supposed to return until next month. What a relief. Happy Thanksgiving. John

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Happy Thanksgiving all!

The other cool side effect of Thanksgiving is having Turkey Sandwiches every day for a week afterward!

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Happy Thanksgiving all!

SO, We ate the BEST turkey we have ever made. We went for the brined, oven roasted method.

UNBELIEVABLE! It was the... it was great. The first time in my life that I did not go for dark meat or gravy. (Except for the potatoes ;) )

Kielbasa and sauerkraut, home-made cranberry sauce, turkey, green beans, mashed potatoes, dinner rolls, stuffing..well actually dressing, it wasnt prepared in-the-bird.

Stuffed the bird with quartered white onion, shallots, and home-grown fresh rosemary.

...Dinner was at 2:30pm (14:30) I woke up a few minutes ago (21:30ish)

I gotta go hit the left-overs!

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
happy thanksgivings to all who celebrate this holiday and a special thanks for those who are standing the watch on this day away from their families.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Cold Pecan Pie and hot cup of coffee. (Seconds)

The turkey always makes me sleepy, so we have Ham. :)

Happy Thanksgiving to all, even those who don't care!