hand switch

jkliegman

Joined Nov 13, 2005
i am working on an ac circuit in which a hand switch opens and closes the neutral line, while the hot line runs through the circuit unabated.

is this ok? or correct?

jon

richbrune

Joined Oct 28, 2005
Originally posted by jkliegman@Nov 13 2005, 07:54 PM
i am working on an ac circuit in which a hand switch opens and closes the neutral line, while the hot line runs through the circuit unabated.

is this ok? or correct?

jon
[post=11637]Quoted post[/post]​
Nope--that's not legal in the U.S., nor is it safe.
You might check, however, that the line is actually a neutral--- in some rare cases where Rhomex type jacketed cable was used, you might find a white wire used as a switch leg. That would only be found in a residence, though, and the installing electrician is supposed to mark the ends of the white wire with tape to signify when it is NOT a neutral. Better fix that one.

jkliegman

Joined Nov 13, 2005
Originally posted by richbrune@Nov 13 2005, 09:07 PM
Nope--that's not legal in the U.S., nor is it safe.
You might check, however, that the line is actually a neutral--- in some rare cases where Rhomex type jacketed cable was used, you might find a white wire used as a switch leg. That would only be found in a residence, though, and the installing electrician is supposed to mark the ends of the white wire with tape to signify when it is NOT a neutral. Better fix that one.
[post=11638]Quoted post[/post]​
Thanks, I'm on it!