Halogen/ LED Trafo problem

boblalux

Joined Oct 16, 2015
Trafo.JPG

Just moved house and have a problem with exchanging all 12V 35W halogen bulbs, with 12V 5W LED bulbs.
The latter work well for about 5 minutes, then start to (very weakly) flutter. After another 5-10 minurtes, some of the bulbs turn off. When I switch off, and then on again, the bulbs light up - again for another 5-10 minutes, and then the problem repeats itself. I note on the transformers concerned (see attachment), the phrase 'for 20-105 watts'. This is achieved with 2 halogens (70W total), but not for 2 LED bulbs (10W total). Is this the problem? Why should too LOW wattage give problems with the trafo?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
View attachment 142175

Just moved house and have a problem with exchanging all 12V 35W halogen bulbs, with 12V 5W LED bulbs.
The latter work well for about 5 minutes, then start to (very weakly) flutter. After another 5-10 minurtes, some of the bulbs turn off. When I switch off, and then on again, the bulbs light up - again for another 5-10 minutes, and then the problem repeats itself. I note on the transformers concerned (see attachment), the phrase 'for 20-105 watts'. This is achieved with 2 halogens (70W total), but not for 2 LED bulbs (10W total). Is this the problem? Why should too LOW wattage give problems with the trafo?
I'm kinda guessing your LED kit wants DC.