Halloween -a study in inventory management.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
11 am -wife asks, how much candy should I buy.
(Me: 3 bags)

1 pm -wife returns with 3 Costco-sized bags.
(Me: “you should have said you were going to Costco, we only needed one of those”)

6 pm - wife says “one piece each, the weather is so nice, we’ll have lots of trick-or-treaters.”

6:10 pm - wife says, “give 2 or 3, it seems kind of slow for some reason”

6:20 pm - wife says, “I’ve been give 4 each - about a handful”

6:25 pm -wife says, “I shouldn’t have opened all three bags”

6:30 pm - wife says, “are ‘the boys’ (our boys) still doing their sugar-free diets? Do you think they’ll want some candy?” Me, “they have extra, too”.

6:35 pm - wife, “what are we going to do with all of this extra candy?” Me, “I’ll give it to @spinnakker tomorrow”

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Sounds about like here. Substitute Sam's Club for COSTCO. All in all we had about 63 kids. I think about one third were one local large family. Kathy got these large boxes of assorted chips. All in all we had about 120 snack packs of assorted chips, pretzels and God knows what else. My only request when she goes on this binge is buy stuff I like because you can figure we will only use half of what she buys. When I was still working I would drag the stuff to work and pile it on our lunch room tables for the taking.

We also have Biscuit and Charlotte (the dogs) who do not appreciate being gated in a room as they need to know everything going on. Thank God this only last a few hours. Trick or treat after 8 PM consist of a few neighbors who then go Trick or Treat fore shots and beers. Maybe in a bit I'll walk across the street where the neighbors have a fire going. Glad I no longer have to get up and go to work in the morning. :)

Ron

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
11 am -wife asks, how much candy should I buy.
(Me: 3 bags)

1 pm -wife returns with 3 Costco-sized bags.
(Me: “you should have said you were going to Costco, we only needed one of those”)

6 pm - wife says “one piece each, the weather is so nice, we’ll have lots of trick-or-treaters.”

6:10 pm - wife says, “give 2 or 3, it seems kind of slow for some reason”

6:20 pm - wife says, “I’ve been give 4 each - about a handful”

6:25 pm -wife says, “I shouldn’t have opened all three bags”

6:30 pm - wife says, “are ‘the boys’ (our boys) still doing their sugar-free diets? Do you think they’ll want some candy?” Me, “they have extra, too”.

6:35 pm - wife, “what are we going to do with all of this extra candy?” Me, “I’ll give it to @spinnakker tomorrow”
I realize beggers can't be chosers but I sure hope they are hersheys bars. ;)

Rule of thumb always buys what you like and buy WAY more than you think you will need. I miscalculated and had too many kids show up. I am left with three measly bite sized Hershys.

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I realize beggers can't be chosers but I sure hope they are hersheys bars. ;)

Rule of thumb always buys what you like and buy WAY more than you think you will need. I miscalculated and had too many kids show up. I am left with three measly bite sized Hershys.

Sorry, we are a M&M-Mars & Nestle family. Hersey chocolate just doesn’t have the finest texture - they still haven’t figured out the correct milling process.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The mini Almond Joy and Mr. Goodbars never make it close to the door.

Ron

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Also, what is the favorite candy bar. Has to be a candy BAR, not just candy.

Mine is the 100 Grand. My first was at a warming house During an ice skating outing at a city park in Minneapolis.

A close second is Peanut M&Ms (but not a candy BAR)

image.jpg

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Gopher, if you recall when we did the bite to eat at Cracker Barrel I bought a stash of the Largew Nestle Chuncky bars. Cracker Barrel normally has a good supply of the older stuff you can't as easily find on store shelves. The other day I was in a Rite Aid getting some of my meds and they had a Hostess rack, I couldn't help myself and managed a few packs of Hostess Snowballs. My wife orders certain dog food on Amazon and now I have her add junk food I like. I am also a sucker for Payday bars.

Ron

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Gopher, if you recall when we did the bite to eat at Cracker Barrel I bought a stash of the Largew Nestle Chuncky bars. Cracker Barrel normally has a good supply of the older stuff you can't as easily find on store shelves. The other day I was in a Rite Aid getting some of my meds and they had a Hostess rack, I couldn't help myself and managed a few packs of Hostess Snowballs. My wife orders certain dog food on Amazon and now I have her add junk food I like. I am also a sucker for Payday bars.

Ron
Payday are almost a health pay snack - a handful of peanuts.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I'm a dark chocolate fan (Mounds, Midnight Milky Way) but kids usually don't care for that, so I have to buy something else (KitKat's) for them.
But we didn't have one kid this year. Ten years ago we had dozens.
Guess they all grew up in the area. :(
So now we have a few KitKat's to eat.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Payday are almost a health pay snack - a handful of peanuts.
PayDay bars are better than most. They're 'only' 40% sugar versus 56% or more for others.

I love PayDay bars and was happy that there were so many left over last night. I had bought 108 candy bars - Hershey's, Snickers and PayDay - but because of the cold we only got 50-some trick or treaters.

In the past when I offered choices, kids tended to always grab the Hershey bars (regular milk over dark). I think it's because they know what they are. This year they surprised me and seemed excited by the other choices.