Hall Sensor / Current Sensor Transducer Q.

AMJC77

Joined Apr 2, 2015
Hi I am using a Hall Sensor or Current Sensor transducer for a project in college. This is the link for the component here >http://ie.farnell.com/honeywell-s-c/csla2dj/current-sensor-transducer/dp/1703967?ost=1703967

There is one thing confusing me, I understand how it can output a DC current/voltage from an AC input. I just don't understand what role the DC voltage supply has, it says on the spec that max supply voltage is 12V & min supply voltage is 6V.

If you could help that would be great!

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
the circuitry inside the hall effect needs power to operate. it is not just a hall effect transistor or a coil. there should be a link to the mfgr's specs on the farnham page that explains.

AMJC77

Joined Apr 2, 2015
the circuitry inside the hall effect needs power to operate. it is not just a hall effect transistor or a coil. there should be a link to the mfgr's specs on the farnham page that explains.
I understand what you mean. For example, if i set up the Hall Sensor as the following:
VCC = 6V & GND = 0V
The output for the sensor will be 3V. I don't understand what consequence this would have to the output.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Hi I am using a Hall Sensor or Current Sensor transducer for a project in college. This is the link for the component here >http://ie.farnell.com/honeywell-s-c/csla2dj/current-sensor-transducer/dp/1703967?ost=1703967
There is one thing confusing me, I understand how it can output a DC current/voltage from an AC input. I just don't understand what role the DC voltage supply has, it says on the spec that max supply voltage is 12V & min supply voltage is 6V.
I can't get the datasheet page to load, however the device appears to be a current sensor (current transformer for I[AC] and a hall-effect sensor for I[DC]) thus it would seem, as per a previous poster, that the unit contains active circuitry requisite of DC power -- apart from the measured current...

Best regards
HP

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015

OK, let's take a look at the data sheet and see what we have. Your sensor will sense AC or DC current above and below zero with a range of 225 Amps peak. Reading the data sheet for your sensor as an example with a Vcc = 8 Volts the sensitivity is 8.7 mV / Amp. So, with 225 Amps we get 225 * .0087 = 1.9575 Volts. With an AC signal the output will swing Vcc / 2 (Offset) between about 6 Volts and 10 Volts. This is why the Vcc must be between a positive number and a positive number or as they suggest 6 to 12 Volts. With the case of Vcc = 8 Volts and 0 to 225 Amps the output will be between 6 and 10 Volts. The same is true for a DC current. Think about the charge and discharge of a large battery. I can be charging at 225 amps or discharging at 225 amps. Well, 0 to 225 Amps. :)

Make sense?

Ron

AMJC77

Joined Apr 2, 2015
OK, let's take a look at the data sheet and see what we have. Your sensor will sense AC or DC current above and below zero with a range of 225 Amps peak. Reading the data sheet for your sensor as an example with a Vcc = 8 Volts the sensitivity is 8.7 mV / Amp. So, with 225 Amps we get 225 * .0087 = 1.9575 Volts. With an AC signal the output will swing Vcc / 2 (Offset) between about 6 Volts and 10 Volts. This is why the Vcc must be between a positive number and a positive number or as they suggest 6 to 12 Volts. With the case of Vcc = 8 Volts and 0 to 225 Amps the output will be between 6 and 10 Volts. The same is true for a DC current. Think about the charge and discharge of a large battery. I can be charging at 225 amps or discharging at 225 amps. Well, 0 to 225 Amps. :)

Make sense?

Ron
That's great, thanks very much for your help gents. Much appreciated!