Hall Effect Throttle

Rangerover

Joined Aug 18, 2018
Hi All,
please forgive my stupid question although this is all new to me....
i have a hall effect throttle that i want to connect to a DC motor and a 6 pin dpdt switch (for forward/reverse);
  1. Do i need to connect it to a controller (ESC)
  2. can i do without an ESC by just using a resistor from the hall effect throttle to the battery or switch or something?
appreciate your help and patience
Sam

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
You will need some sort of controller/motor driver. The Hall device is just a low powered signal producing thingo.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Have you got any paperwork on your hall effect throttle? Paperwork on DC motor? Paperwork on other stuff you got?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Hi All,
please forgive my stupid question although this is all new to me....
i have a hall effect throttle that i want to connect to a DC motor and a 6 pin dpdt switch (for forward/reverse);
  1. Do i need to connect it to a controller (ESC)
  2. can i do without an ESC by just using a resistor from the hall effect throttle to the battery or switch or something?
appreciate your help and patience
Sam
As @dendad said, the hall effect throttle is just a sensor. It's purpose it not to control anything but to report the state of the throttle to something that uses that data, usually to control the speed of something. So, you need a controller to read that data and use it to control the speed of the motor.

It is wrong to think of the throttle as something akin to variable resistor, which could also be used as the input to a controller, but produces a proportional change in the voltage rather than a signal of its own. They can both be sensors, but the hall effect device must be interpreted and cannot be used directly.

Rangerover

Joined Aug 18, 2018
dendad - i thought so
BR-549 - my dc motors are traxxis 550, my throttle is a hall effect FT-01, the controller i have is an unknown brand. just trying to see if i could do without it to reduce components to blow up.

ill put a post up for my project and any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks
Sam