Hall effect switch

NZDave

Joined Aug 29, 2006
Hi guys, I've got a data logger and timer. The timer is activated by push button, I want to change this for a hall effect switch to be triggered by a magnit. (40-50mm range). Has anyone got a simple circuit to do this??

Thanks

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
I'm not so familiar with Hall effect sensors or their sensitivity at that distance, but I'm guessing some signal amplification may be involved.

nomurphy

Joined Aug 8, 2005
You will probably need to place the sensor at the input of a comparator, the comparator will then provide the TTL level or other output level required.

Actual circuit design requires determining the exact sensor to be used, the given magnet, and the distance between the two; along with the comparator details.

You may want to search on comparator application circuits.

NZDave

Joined Aug 29, 2006
Thanks guys, a reed switch is not senitive enough. Asfor circuit design, I dont know which sensor/comparator to use. Hence my visit to this forum!!

Chris Wright

Joined Jul 26, 2006
.............. a hall effect switch to be triggered by a magnit. (40-50mm range).
Have you found a sensor that will work at that range? Here is a site FAQ that indicates 4 to 6mm with the most powerful magnet is more likely.

http://www.allegromicro.com/faq/hedfaq1.htm

I'd start googling for sensor specifications first to see if you can find one that will work at that range.

What is the physical setup that is going to swing the magnet in front of the sensor?

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
I've worked with hall effect sensors several times, and I think it is difficult to get one to work at the range that you indicated. The range that Chris mentioned above is more likely.

If the distance can not be made nearer, then you probably could look at other type of sensors, like proximity or something else.

NZDave

Joined Aug 29, 2006
Thanks guys, the magnet can't be moved..... It's inbeded in the surface of the track that we race (Karts) on. The pickup is mounted on the kart, when the magnit is crossed it triggers the laptimer on the kart. Ok then if a hall effect is no good........... any other sugestions?

Dave