Hall effect with a Tilt switch.

Magic Wire

Joined Nov 24, 2013
I'm new here and am getting started in electronics. I haven't bought the components yet because it is a big investment in time to order them online, so I need to know if I have the right ones. I have done some reading and research, but questions still come up.

This circuit lights up a super bright orange LED.
First, I use a hall effect bipolar latch to light up an LED with a magnet (south pole).
Second, I also have a tilt switch in the circuit.

Here is my question: When the tilt switch breaks the circuit by titling, does the hall effect sensor "reset" itself so that when the tilt switch connects itself again (by tilting upright again), the circuit stays off until you bring the magnet to the hall effect sensor again to get the LED to light up again? I am hoping that is the case.

Thanks

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
There are three common hall effect such as the small Honeywell series, there is Unipolar, this is only activated by one particular pole and off when the pole is removed..
There is Bipolar switch which will switch on when any pole is brought close and off when removed.
The third is a Bi-polar latch and this will latch on and stay on with one pole, and require the second pole to un-latch.
It sounds like you may have the latter?
Max.

Magic Wire

Joined Nov 24, 2013
I understand that. But if you have a tilt switch to break the circuit (or anything that would break the circuit), will you have to reapply the magnet to the hall effect sensor when the circuit breaks?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You will have to define the type you have?
The first two will switch off directly the magnet is removed, the third latches.
But if power is removed from the sensors then it will also reset, if that is what you are getting at?
Max.

Magic Wire

Joined Nov 24, 2013
There are three common hall effect such as the small Honeywell series, there is Unipolar, this is only activated by one particular pole and off when the pole is removed..
There is Bipolar switch which will switch on when any pole is brought close and off when removed.
The third is a Bi-polar latch and this will latch on and stay on with one pole, and require the second pole to un-latch.
It sounds like you may have the latter?
Max.
I want the bipolar latch. Or in this case, I could use a unipolar latch come to think of it. As long as it latches and then turns off when tilted, then can only be turned on with the south pole of a magnet. It would be nice to have the option of using the north end of the magnet to turn off the LED without the tilt also. That is my goal.

Magic Wire

Joined Nov 24, 2013
You will have to define the type you have?
The first two will switch off directly the magnet is removed, the third latches.
But if power is removed from the sensors then it will also reset, if that is what you are getting at?
Max.
Yes Max, thank you very much! That is what I needed to know. A shopping I will go...:)

Magic Wire

Joined Nov 24, 2013
If a hall effect sensor (bi-polar latch) is 5 volts, does that mean that it takes a minimum of 5 volts to run it in a circuit? I understand I will have to use a resistor with the orange LED.

Magic Wire

Joined Nov 24, 2013
Well, the experiment FAILED. The hall switch latch turns on the LED beautifully with a magnet. When the circuit is broken it turns off the LED as predicted. But, when it is reconnected, the hall switch stays on making the LED stay on until you bring the opposite end of the magnet to turn it off. The Switch does not reset itself. I am posting this because to let everyone know this since hall effect latch switches knowledge doesn't seem to be too common place.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have used the Honeywell SS400 series of all types, unipolar, bi-polar and latch, and they all have behaved exactly as the data sheet describes.
Either you have a different type or are using them incorrectly.
Max.