Hair dryer component

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
So I'm trying to fix this stupid hair dryer, and I've tested every component in it except for this one:

Untitled.png

It looks like a capacitor, but it doesn't state what its capacity is. The only think I could find online is its UL file certification, which also doesn't tell me a whole bunch.

What is it? It's got three wires protruding from it, of different gauges.

Danko

Joined Nov 22, 2017
Yes, "transformer", but it may be some combined electromagnet / piezoelectric device, not simple wired transformer.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Yes, "transformer", but it may be some combined electromagnet / piezoelectric device, not simple wired transformer.
Thanks for that observation ... I'm just gonna dump that piece of junk of a hair dryer into the trash... but now I'm going to open up that component ... see what it looks like inside ... :);)

Danko

Joined Nov 22, 2017
Thanks for that observation ... I'm just gonna dump that piece of junk of a hair dryer into the trash... but now I'm going to open up that component ... see what it looks like inside ... :);)
Good decision. Is on top some bituminous mastic or epoxy or soft silicon?
EDIT: May be simple heat it and pull out...

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Since a basic hair dryer would not normally contain such an item, the thing must be for some special function of some kind. So there should be a claim of something special on the hair dryer someplace.
But since it is not needed for the basic function of blowing hot air, you can probably remove it and still have a working hair dryer. At least that is the first thing that I can suggest.
Are you able to trace out the rest of the circuit, which would help quite a bit in discovering what it is. My guess is a small high voltage transformer, like used to trigger flash tubes.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I see many modern versions of Hair dryers now contain an Ionizer for hair treatment.
AKA Ionic style.
Another one for Michael Faraday!
Max.

Last edited:
It believe that it is a negative ion generator. See test sheet.

I had a hair dryer with the same part. Mine shot high voltage sparks out of the on/off switch one day (after several years of use). I dismantled it and saw the same part and made the same error thinking it was a capacitor.

NIGen A.jpg

NIGen B.jpg
Interestingly, I ended up buying a new version of the same model and noted that they had completely re-designed the switch and enclosure near the switch.

[Edited to fix photos and correct spelling - dryer, not drier as I originally typed see http://grammarist.com/usage/drier-dryer/ have now made that particular error 5872 times.

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
This thread turned out to be more interesting that I thought at first. And yes, after thinking it might be a capacitor, I noticed that the fan blower motor is of the brushed type. And I've never seen a brushed motor needing a capacitor before, unless it's used for filtering. And filtering caps are normally of a different shape and size.

ebp

Joined Feb 8, 2018
from Max's link:

"The ions work to make water molecules smaller, so it is easier to get them to evaporate and leave hair dry."

Uh huh. Suuuure. Not.
Oh well, at least the quacks aren't messing with anything important. Negative ion generators used to be promoted as having assorted health benefits along with cleaning your air. They did in fact help clean air by charging particulates, causing them to conveniently deposit on walls and other surfaces.

It would be interesting to determine if it is a transformer or voltage multiplier. If it is a transformer without a rectifiert, then it would function as a static neutralizing supply. It could be made into into a mini ionized air blower for removal of static from things like small strips of tape, labels, etc. Alas, the size suggests it is probably a multiplier with DC output. Electrostatic air brush, perhaps?