H bridge P channel and N channel

Skubby SkinnyChubby

Joined Jun 19, 2015
Hi,
i know that i can design a H bridge using 2 p channel MOSFET and 2 N channel MOSFET or 4 N channel MOSFET. (Image attached)

Q1. what's the difference of using 2 p channel MOSFET and 2 N channel MOSFET or 4 N channel MOSFET to design a H bridge?
Q2. can i use 4 P channel MOSFET to design my H bridge?

Thanks guys :)

Attachments

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hi,
i know that i can design a H bridge using 2 p channel MOSFET and 2 N channel MOSFET or 4 N channel MOSFET. (Image attached)

Q1. what's the difference of using 2 p channel MOSFET and 2 N channel MOSFET or 4 N channel MOSFET to design a H bridge?
Q2. can i use 4 P channel MOSFET to design my H bridge?

Thanks guys :)
Standard N-channel MOSFETs gates should be driven 10 volts above the source. Difficult to do that when they are the high-side of the H bridge. If you are making an H bridge with 4 n-channel MOSFETS, then you need gate drivers with charge pumps that can provide a voltage above the source.

You can make an H with 4 p channel but standard p-channel needs 10 volts below the source. P-channel mosfet driver chips are available. N-channel MOSFETS are generally faster and lower on-resistance and cheaper than the P-channel mate. Therefore, using 4-n-channel is more desirable than 2p and 2n in some applications. There is just no technical benefit of using 4-p channel.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Hi Skubby,

I've been using this H-bridge. It runs from 12V and drives 12V motors ~2A.

Camerart.
An example of a good H-Bridge...

Independent control of all four FET gates so non-overlapping gate signals are controlled by software (good).
PFETS are driven with a full -12V gate drive (good).
NFETS are driven only the port voltage (bad, unless the NFETS are logic-level gate drive, and the micro is running on 5V).

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
An example of a good H-Bridge...

Independent control of all four FET gates so non-overlapping gate signals are controlled by software (good).
PFETS are driven with a full -12V gate drive (good).
NFETS are driven only the port voltage (bad, unless the NFETS are logic-level gate drive, and the micro is running on 5V).
Hi,

I just checked the NFET PDF Rds on. 3.7A @ 4.5V and 7.3A @10v.

C.