H-bridge current control method

Status
Not open for further replies.

weedoublewide

Joined Apr 25, 2020
Good evening everyone,

I'm building a tabletop rail gun using a dc battery bank, IGBTs, gate drivers,micro-controller for the PWM, transformer, power diode bank and smoothing cap that's then going to fed my cap bank. My end goal is to charge the bank in a specified amount of time but keeping the current draw at a specified value.
I did some research and I found some hall effect current sensor that would work great for actually implement the thing when it's time to build it. It would go on the output of the rectifying diodes and then output a linear DC voltage that goes back to the micro-controller. But my question is how do I simulate a current control method like that in LTSPICE.

I'm not sure if this thread area needs posts of files or not, so let me know and Ill get them up for you.

Best Regards,

double

EDIT:
I forgot to mention that I was doing some research on how current feedback works with H bridges and stumbled across this pdf that has lots of useful information on it.
https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/application-notes/an105fa.pdf
I understand most of it, its just how does one implement that into LTSPICE control.

If theres some fourms that already talk about it or walkthroughs for it hook me up! Ill do the reading!

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
You are venturing into an area that may or may not violate the forum rules. Electromagnetic mass drivers (rail guns) that are of the type that high school physics departments sometimes use are fine, but anything beyond that is limited to theoretical discussions only.

How much kinetic energy is this rail gun going to impart on the projectile? One way to gauge whether it is acceptable for discussion here is whether or not you would be willing to put your hand in front of it and catch the projectile, confident that no injury would result. If not, then this is not the place to discuss it.

weedoublewide

Joined Apr 25, 2020
If I'm firing anything, I wouldn't put my hand in front of it (gun safety 101) but I understand what you mean. It's going to impart more than safe amount to catch. Last thing I want to do is break the forum rules.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
If I'm firing anything, I wouldn't put my hand in front of it (gun safety 101) but I understand what you mean. It's going to impart more than safe amount to catch. Last thing I want to do is break the forum rules.
So it sounds like it does violate the forum rules. I hope you find a suitable place to discuss it -- it sounds like an interesting project. I'm going to go ahead and close this thread.

Good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.