H-Bridge Best Design Practice

weedoublewide

Joined Apr 25, 2020
I have design question and I'm wondering which option is the better choice.

So I'm taking 48V battery bank and feeding it to an H-bridge IGBT module thats being driven by a gate driver. Once the waveform comes out of the IGBT module it'll be resemble a Vac waveform. Up until now I thought I was just going to put it into a transformer and do my low pass filtering on the output side before the rectification circuit.

The more I read and try to wrap my head around the best practice, I'm re-considering my design and want to use a low pass filter prior to the transformer instead of after.

I've uploaded a simple flow chart of my two considerations.

Option A is lowpass after
Option B is lowpass before

Thanks for the help,

double

Attachments

Marc Sugrue

Joined Jan 19, 2018
So what voltage is the Cap your charging? Capcitors store DC so why don't you just boost up to from 48V to 350VDC directly?

Last edited:

weedoublewide

Joined Apr 25, 2020
So what voltage is the Cap your charging? Capcitors store DC so why don't you just boost up to from 48V to 350VDC
I wanted to control how the rate cap bank charged and the voltage range via a Microcontroller.
But I’m not sure wat you mean, what type of circuit are you talking about?

weedoublewide

Joined Apr 25, 2020
I wanted to control how the rate cap bank charged and the voltage range via a Microcontroller.
But I’m not sure wat you mean, what type of circuit are you talking about?
I mean I know what you mean by go from 48 to 350 VDC, but I don’t know what type of circuit you’re talking about. That is better wording

weedoublewide

Joined Apr 25, 2020
Use a Boost Converter Topology?

https://learnabout-electronics.org/PSU/psu32.php

You don't specify power levels etc but most IC manufacturer (TI, ST etc) have commercial IC's for Boost topologies.
Ohhh ya yea, I remember looking at those and couldn’t find what I needed.
Yea so I’ll have at my DC voltage at 48V, pulling approx 16A which gives us about 770W, I decided to put in a little expansion factor and made my requirements based off of 1KW.
But let me revisit the dc dc boost convertor option, maybe I missed something.

Thank you