Gyroscopic handheld electricity generator

Devlove

Joined Sep 10, 2023
Hi guys thanks for reading my post.
I’m trying to find the right way to build this generator after failing several times before.
I’m making a gyroscopic exercise toy like the Powerball and need it to generate 3+ volts at 1000-3000 rpm. My electronics and led will run on battery power drawing about 500ma and I will use the generator to charge the batteries. My last attempt generated less than 1 volt but I don’t want to overkill on the next one because it would drag the speed of the gyroscopic rotor down.
Could you help me determine the right configuration for an axial generator with 8 magnets?
i would be very happy if I could find appropriate coils that I wouldn’t need to wind myself. Im using 32ga wire and a bridge rectifier to power arguing nano and 20 LED.
Thanks for your feedback :)

Devlove

Joined Sep 10, 2023
What is making the generator spin?
Precession. The Angular momentum will ricochet at an angle 90 perpendicular to force applied. So the user is pushing against angular momentum through cycles of precession. That torque is what drives the rotor to spin faster.

Devlove

Joined Sep 10, 2023

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Applying an external-force to a Gyroscope will not induce energy into it.

If this were true, it would be possible to make the Gyroscope explode by continuous manipulation.

Devlove

Joined Sep 10, 2023
Applying an external-force to a Gyroscope will not induce energy into it.

If this were true, it would be possible to make the Gyroscope explode by continuous manipulation.
You don’t understand the topic. This is irrelevant. I’m trying to figure out how to generate electricity with rotating magnets.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
So you want 3V at 500mA, i.e 1.5W, powered by wrist movement. The module in the link apparently has a 5V output, so would use 5V x 3Ah = 15Wh of energy to charge an 18650 cell of (typically) 3000mAh capacity. At 1.5W your wrist would need 15Wh/1.5W = 10 hours to power that charge. I doubt you'd be able to exercise the wrist for anything like that time without risking either boredom or Repetitive Strain Injury :(.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
You don’t understand the topic. This is irrelevant. I’m trying to figure out how to generate electricity with rotating magnets.
You want to convert mechanical energy to electrical energy.

You must understand the energy conversion efficiency factor for turning mechanical energy to procession energy into rotational energy is very lossy because it's related to friction losses.
https://courses.lumenlearning.com/suny-osuniversityphysics/chapter/11-3-precession-of-a-gyroscope/

This makes a good exercise tool but a poor power generator.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
I can think of far better ways to spin something using muscle power. Pedaling with the legs has proved quite successful.

Devlove

Joined Sep 10, 2023
So you want 3V at 500mA, i.e 1.5W, powered by wrist movement. The module in the link apparently has a 5V output, so would use 5V x 3Ah = 15Wh of energy to charge an 18650 cell of (typically) 3000mAh capacity. At 1.5W your wrist would need 15Wh/1.5W = 10 hours to power that charge. I doubt you'd be able to exercise the wrist for anything like that time without risking either boredom or Repetitive Strain Injury :(.
Irrelevant. I’m not asking about my wrist. The device I’m making is totally different but the physics that make it work are the same so the powerball reference is just for an understanding of how it works but this is not a wrist exercise.
I only intend to maintain the battery charge while the batteries deliver consistent power to the arduino and led.

Devlove

Joined Sep 10, 2023
You want to convert mechanical energy to electrical energy.

You must understand the energy conversion efficiency factor for turning mechanical energy to procession energy into rotational energy is very lossy because it's related to friction losses.
https://courses.lumenlearning.com/suny-osuniversityphysics/chapter/11-3-precession-of-a-gyroscope/

This makes a good exercise tool but a poor power generator.
This is an exercise that’s intended to burn energy. It’s not a perpetual motion machine.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
This is an exercise that’s intended to burn energy. It’s not a perpetual motion machine.
I didn't say it was a perpetual motion machine but you did say you wanted to build a 'generator'. (a device that converts energy, not wastes it as heat)

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
I'm having difficulty visualising this ,
We've had to many people on here trying to make impossible machines, so sorty for the scepatisum,
Can you may be draw a picture of yhecdirt of mechanics and schematics,
Is it a generator, a motor , a battery and a gyro ?
So generator , fir first off demo, I'd strongly suggest look on line for off the shelf units, same for the motor and battery charger,
Make some sort of first go is always a good way forward.
It will also give you an idea on the size weight of components to do what you want,
A 15 watt generator is not small or light,
Making one that can stand bring chucked at walls , dropped etc is not going to be easy,

Devlove

Joined Sep 10, 2023
I didn't say it was a perpetual motion machine but you did say you wanted to build a 'generator'. (a device that converts energy, not wastes it as heat)
I appreciate the interesting web link you provided and acknowledge there is energy loss to friction. I just need to tap into some of the energy to power onboard electronics. I hope to find a prefab coil that would do the job so I don't need to wind them myself.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Yet another case where the person seeking help obscures what he is trying to do, then becomes frustrated when our answers are not relevant to his secret project, whatever it is.

Devlove

Joined Sep 10, 2023
Yet another case where the person seeking help obscures what he is trying to do, then becomes frustrated when our answers are not relevant to his secret project, whatever it is.
Im just trying to stay focused on the topic. I'm searching for a coil type & spec I could shop for online to complete my generator to generate 5v at 3000 rpm. Explaining physics is a complex issue that is irrelevant. I'm not hiding anything. If you want to learn more about how gyroscopes and the exercise versions work I have provided links above.