gyro help

hcwickz

Joined Oct 31, 2011
Hi everyone , i am using a kind of gyro - LISY300AL from spark fun to
stabilise my helicopter . i had connected my gyro to the arudino pro mini, So isnt after connecting ,will the gyro auto -stabilise my helicopter or i have to do something to it ?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
The LISY300AL is a low-power single-axis yaw
rate sensor. It includes a sensing element and an
IC interface able to provide the measured angular
rate to the external world through an analog
output voltage.
This is not a gyro, it is a sensor. it will not stabilize your helicopter at all. But, it will provide stability info. if you want to actively stabilize the helicopter, you need a gyro, as in a spinning disk.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
You need to set it fixed to the body of the helo, assuming you got a 3 axis gyro.

Then you need to program your microcontroller... a lot.

You need to get the throttle, collective, cyclic, and tail rotor servo inputs from the RC Receiver to know which way the pilot wants the helo to go, and mix those with the gyro readings, then send the new pulse commands out to the servo.

If all input commands (from pilot) are at center, throttle or signal lost, collective, cyclic, and tail rotor, the machine will be 100% controlled by the microcontroller to keep the helo hovering at the point the controls went "hands off". There's more controls if you want to keep the helo in the safe operating zone (no 3-D aerobatics) to reduce chance of crash as well.

Unless you are looking for a simpler integration of gyroscopes on a heli.

Last edited:

hcwickz

Joined Oct 31, 2011
This is not a gyro, it is a sensor. it will not stabilize your helicopter at all. But, it will provide stability info. if you want to actively stabilize the helicopter, you need a gyro, as in a spinning disk.
Ohh okay . so how can i provide stability info ? i got a source of code , not sure if it is sufficient enough . http://wiring.org.co/learning/basics/gyrolisy300al.html

You need to set it fixed to the body of the helo, assuming you got a 3 axis gyro.

Then you need to program your microcontroller... a lot.

You need to get the throttle, collective, cyclic, and tail rotor servo inputs from the RC Receiver to know which way the pilot wants the helo to go, and mix those with the gyro readings, then send the new pulse commands out to the servo.

If all input commands (from pilot) are at center, throttle or signal lost, collective, cyclic, and tail rotor, the machine will be 100% controlled by the microcontroller to keep the helo hovering at the point the controls went "hands off". There's more controls if you want to keep the helo in the safe operating zone (no 3-D aerobatics) to reduce chance of crash as well.

Unless you are looking for a simpler integration of gyroscopes on a heli.

Ya . i am doing a school project , just lift up the helicopter will do , need not to fly . So after connecting the gyro and the coding program , then the gyro will auto - stabilise the helicopter ?

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Yes/No.

An electronic gyroscope will only give outputs stating how much acceleration there is on the X, Y, Z axis.

It will NOT take any action of it's own, it will simply monitor. If you want an automated take off to hover, you'll need to use a control/feedback system with a controller and the gyro running the servos.

It isn't a quick and simple project, unless you purchase a pre-programmed complete system.

hcwickz

Joined Oct 31, 2011
oh okay finally get some understanding on that .so how can i read the output from the 3 axis , do i need to download a program and read from there?