Gyro sensor to send VR signals to PC

therobotprogrammer10111

Joined Dec 28, 2018
Hi,
I would like to make a cheap VR headset that can work with VRChat, I would like to know how to make a gyroscope sensor send signals to my PC as if my head is turning in VR, and in Visual Studio C#.

Thanks!

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Which gyroscope do you want to use, and what interface do you want to use to get data to the PC? USB is probably the most common, but you can also go wireless (Bluetooth, WiFi) or with old school serial. Look around, there might already be a gyroscope wired up with USB, or if you want to start at ground 0, here are some gyroscopes to check out:

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/sensors-transducers/motion-sensors-gyroscopes/555

Basically start defining your requirements, then go from there.

therobotprogrammer10111

Joined Dec 28, 2018
Sorry about not specifying much, I'm a beginner, here are some details:
Yes I would like to be connected through a USB cable, and I was thinking to maybe use an arduino to somehow take the signals from the MPU6050 GY-521 gyroscope I want to use, then pass that on to visual studio as it works in practically the same language as an arduino, and send VR commands to my PC.
I didn't find many gyroscopes that are USB and a pcb or similar. https://www.amazon.co.uk/AZDelivery...keywords=Chip+gyroscope&qid=1571119291&sr=8-5 this looked good to get, and I'm running windows 10.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
If you're using Arduino, it's already setup for serial over USB. Just add some serial code to your C# application and send the gyro data over serial/USB to the PC. It's not the fastest connection so you'll have to experiment or do some math to determine if it's fast enough for your use case, but that will be a relatively easy path to get a working example going.

therobotprogrammer10111

Joined Dec 28, 2018
If you're using Arduino, it's already setup for serial over USB. Just add some serial code to your C# application and send the gyro data over serial/USB to the PC. It's not the fastest connection so you'll have to experiment or do some math to determine if it's fast enough for your use case, but that will be a relatively easy path to get a working example going.
but how would you make the computer and games think it was a vr signal

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
I'm not up on all the latest VR tech, but find out if there's a standard interface for what you're trying to do. It's likely that the game or other software is looking for a specific interface, or specific driver. You would need to figure out what that is and write your code to that standard.