Guidance needed, please.

Wgray52576

Joined Dec 4, 2017
1 of the 3 bulb sockets in my ceiling fan stopped working. I replaced the bulb and it still doesn't work, so I'm assuming it's the socket that's bad? I don't use this light anymore and want to replace the entire fan/light with a standard light fixture, but I'm very interested in learning how to do it myself. Where would be the best place for me to start learning about how electric works and is there a certification available for home electrical work? I know I shouldn't tamper with something I don't understand so I won't, however, I very much want to learn. Any advice or direction is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
There are many home-repair do-it-yourself books out there. Look at your local hardware stores or libraries. A lot of it can be found on-line, too.

Depending on where you live (which you haven't indicated), you probably don't need a license to do work in your own home. Most simple things are quite simple and if you understand and follow the guidance in a decent home repair guide you should be okay. But do be sure that you understand what they are saying and that you really do follow the recommendations.

Places like this can help clear up any confusion you have or address things that you think might have been overlooked.

Wgray52576

Joined Dec 4, 2017
Thank you. I live in NY. I've been doing research on learning but haven't found anything solid yet. My dad has several books on electrical wiring so I will read those as well.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Reader's Digest had a series of books that covered handyman types of jobs. You may also find handyman books at the home supply stores, e.g. Home Depot.

Home Depot people should be able to explain simple stuff like wiring light fixtures and switches.

Wgray52576

Joined Dec 4, 2017
Reader's Digest had a series of books that covered handyman types of jobs. You may also find handyman books at the home supply stores, e.g. Home Depot.

Home Depot people should be able to explain simple stuff like wiring light fixtures and switches.
I have a Home Depot in walking distance from where I live. I will go there tomorrow.
Thank you.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I have a Home Depot in walking distance from where I live. I will go there tomorrow.
Thank you.
Home Depot used to have a very nice selection of handyman books -- an entire section filled with them. Now they only have a couple (at least the stores around here). I suspect the other big chains are likely the same (they all track each other pretty closely in most regards).

There have been some really nice series of books -- Reader's Digest and Time Life come to mind. You can probably find sets on ebay. Of course, a lot of this is also easily found online -- but watch out for all the garbage that is online, as well.