GUI building using Matlab for non Matlab users

Fadel Megahed

Joined Jun 22, 2007
Hey all,

Would love if anyone could help me with this? I am currently working on a project that includes matlab and digital image processing and i am kinda stuck in the first stage as my trial version of the project did not work in computers that did not have matlab.
The exe file, which encompasses the GUI flickers and then closes straight back. However, in computers that have matlab, it takes like five seconds and then opens the interface.
I am seeking your help as soon as possible and i hope that we can work it together :)
Thanks
Fadel

Fadel Megahed

Joined Jun 22, 2007
Basically i am new in that field so I aint quit sure however, I think its probably dos? To open .exe file that would be dos right?
The purpose of the project is to develop GUI by matlab as it has makes life easier through both the GUIDE and the image processing toolbox to clients who does not have necessarily matlab..
So it should be based on windows applications..
Thanks Dave and looking forward to your solution :)

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I think that is were you are going to have a problem. When you create a GUI using Guide the GUI is initialised (and controlled if you program it that way) through an m-file - therefore you need the Matlab interpretor to run the m-file and hence initialise the GUI. The visuals and layout controls are stored in a corresponding fig-file so this probably explains why you see the GUI flicker and then disappear because it cannot initialise properly and hence run.

If you are looking at doing this without Matlab, then you could always look at using one of the open source alternatives:

- Octave (http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/) - Good Matlab compatibility but only command line IIRC, hence may not have GUI support

Or

- FreeMat (http://freemat.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page) - Again good Matlab compatibility, but I'm not sure about GUI support. Tends to be more graphical

If you look at both these applications be aware that your Matlab code may not work 'out-of-the-box' because there are subtle syntax differences. Therefore you will need to adapt your code to work within these programs.

Failing that, you will need to look at using Matlab (even though it is expensive), else use another language to write a GUI (C++ or Java are probably your best bets) and then use either Octave or FreeMat to implement the image processing routines.

Dave