Ground Connection to Power Supply Output Terminal

blah2222

Joined May 3, 2010
Hello,

I am curious what the common practice of grounding power supplies entails. I have seen the following three different configurations:

- earth ground connected solely to the chassis, leaving +/- output terminals floating
- earth ground connected to chassis as well as one of the output terminals (normally -ve)
- earth ground connected to chassis as well as one of the output terminals through a large value resistor (>1 Mohm)

Grounding the chassis is a no brainer, but I am wondering if one of these practices is better suited for a general DC supply (<30V, <1A). Would the third option still be stackable?

Thank you.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
good quality power supplies usually have 3 connections, +, -, and ground with niether of the output terminals grounded. thats so you can use it for a ositive supply or a negative supply determined by whitch you ground. the chasis of your project should be grounded for safety's sake though, even if you float the circuit from ground.

blah2222

Joined May 3, 2010
I have now looked at that thread. Some good suggestions to follow.

Is a bleeder/static resistor necessary between one of the output terminals when left floating?