Google Mail...how do i sign up??

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
BladeSabre said:
You need to get an invite from someone. I can give you one if you want - just PM me your current email address and I'll send it over.
How long has Google Mail been in this beta/invite only status? I recall invites floating around about 2 years ago. Mind you Google doesn't need to push it since they've got millions of people on their service already.

Dave

BladeSabre

Joined Aug 11, 2005
Originally it was designed to regulate the number of accounts, so the whole world didn't sign up at once and overload their servers. (They only provided invites at the rate at which they were able to accept accounts.)

However, I believe they intend to keep it like that permanently. I remember reading that they want to make it slightly more difficult to get an account, in order to help prevent abuse.

It's not difficult to find someone to give you an invite. I have 100, and they replenish faster than I can use them. (So my offer extends to anyone on this forum :D.) And like you said, there's millions of people who have accounts. I guess it just takes a little time and thought.

Edited to add:

I've got 93 at the moment, but there's been a couple of time-wasters, so I'd like a little more consideration here.

Don't ask me for an invite unless you're going to accept it (i.e. don't ask several people at the same time).
And, don't ask if you're not going to check your private messages here at All About Circuits. (Someone recently gave me a broken email address and apparently did not receive my PM on the matter.)

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
BladeSabre said:
Originally it was designed to regulate the number of accounts, so the whole world didn't sign up at once and overload their servers. (They only provided invites at the rate at which they were able to accept accounts.)

However, I believe they intend to keep it like that permanently. I remember reading that they want to make it slightly more difficult to get an account, in order to help prevent abuse.

It's not difficult to find someone to give you an invite. I have 100, and they replenish faster than I can use them. (So my offer extends to anyone on this forum :D.) And like you said, there's millions of people who have accounts. I guess it just takes a little time and thought.
Well I suppose they can afford to keep it on a strictly invite only basis,peopl will always want Google products. The big problem, as you say, is that fact that it takes forever to get a name you like. For me it would be something like dave14628_mac522997@googlemail.com - not very catchy is it!

Dave

Hello all. I have stumbled into your very interesting forum while surfing in an attempt to discover how to get a googlemail account when I live in the uk... I was directed straight to this thread, so was a little disorientated to discover that it was off-topic for this forum. However, it looks like a good place to be for a chap who does a little programming and the odd electronics repair in his spare time, even if some of the high-end electronics mentioned in the other threads goes somewhat over my head. So I will check back regularly, and hopefully learn a thing or two.

Anyway, would it be cheeky to ask if anyone has a spare googlemail invite? Or knows the best way to get one, as noone I know in the real world uses anything except hotmail...

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
johnnytrumpet said:
Hello all. I have stumbled into your very interesting forum while surfing in an attempt to discover how to get a googlemail account when I live in the uk... I was directed straight to this thread, so was a little disorientated to discover that it was off-topic for this forum. However, it looks like a good place to be for a chap who does a little programming and the odd electronics repair in his spare time, even if some of the high-end electronics mentioned in the other threads goes somewhat over my head. So I will check back regularly, and hopefully learn a thing or two.

Anyway, would it be cheeky to ask if anyone has a spare googlemail invite? Or knows the best way to get one, as noone I know in the real world uses anything except hotmail...
Hi johnnytrumpet,

Some time back the site owner had several invites available, but from what I gather they were all taken within a short space of time. Other than that, no-one has really advertised any invites. You may find that as time goes by someone will offer you an invite in response to your post here.

As for contribution to these forum - don't worry, its a learning experience for all of us here and remember that what you put into these forums you will certainly get out.

Hope to see you around.

Dave

Hi there,

I've been trying for days to get a gmail account but I don't know anyone esle who has it!

Would someone please be kind enough to send me an invite? It would be greatly appreciated!

:D

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
If you are living in one of these selected country, then you could also get an invitation through SMS message on your mobile phone.

Have a look at this page.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
If you are living in one of these selected country, then you could also get an invitation through SMS message on your mobile phone.

Have a look at this page.
That scheme is not available in the UK, hence why I haven't heard of it. Anyhow, thats an options for residents of those countries, thanks for the info n9352527.

Dave

i really need a gmail account! cant get an invite anywhere! can any1 send invite or is it the main company??? if some1 could send me the email that would be awesome!

thnxs
....cole.....