Google Chrome continues to act up

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Hi folks--

About 6 months ago, Chrome stopped working for me on my laptop. Well, I really should say it stopped working smoothly. It seemed to start after an update one day, and I've continued to have the same problem since. I have even gotten a new laptop, installed Chrome, and have the same issue. It seems to lag every couple of minutes, no matter what I'm doing. I can be watching a video, typing text (in a forum post, for example), or even just scrolling through pages, and it lags for half a second to a second. When I'm watching a video, though, even when the video lags, the audio continues without any issues. I've disabled advanced processing, the network prediction service, and so on and have had no success in fixing the problem. I also have Chrome on my desktop but haven't seen this happen on it. Both machines (my desktop and laptop) have 8GB of RAM (Well, my Desktop has 16, but it only sees 8--something I still need to figure out), so I don't expect that to be the cause of the issue. I have the latest graphics card drivers and software installed, and I'm just about out of ideas. I was wondering if anyone else was having the same problem with Chrome as I am, and if anyone knows how it might be fixed? I appreciate any suggestions you can offer.

Regards,
Matt

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Perhaps Chrome, or something else, is calling back to base at regular intervals to check if an update is available, or to report system performance?

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Perhaps Chrome, or something else, is calling back to base at regular intervals to check if an update is available, or to report system performance?
I figured it was some process that would run every couple of minutes, though that seems a bit frequent for a simple update check. I'll get rid of the auto-updater though and see what happens.

Never had any problems with Chrome myself but have you tried Firefox? Are you running a virus checker?
Last time I used Firefox was just this past summer, and it would crash very frequently--once or twice a day. I eventually gave up on it.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Any "boot into safe mode with network drivers" available?

Have you installed the latest Flash, Shockwave or whatever plugin used in Chrome?

Do you have the same plug-ins on both maschines?

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I am not aware of a safe mode boot option for Chrome. If anyone knows for sure, that'd be very helpful.

I have the latest plugins installed, and I have Chrome synced between my laptop and desktop--same plugins, extensions, etc.

I can't seem to find the auto-updater on Windows 8, it's much easier to find in 7....

Matt

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Good thing Micro$oft keeps improving the system.:D

But I gotta say, I use Firefox with no problems on an XP machine and a Vista machine. Good luck. Let us know if you find out how to be successful. Eventually, most of us will eventually be forced into newer operating systems.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Good thing Micro$oft keeps improving the system.:D

But I gotta say, I use Firefox with no problems on an XP machine and a Vista machine. Good luck. Let us know if you find out how to be successful. Eventually, most of us will eventually be forced into newer operating systems.
Firefox works fine in XP and Vista, but it seems to always crash for me in 7 and 8. That's why I've decided to ignore it, I won't support a browser that constantly closes out without warning! :eek:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Good enough for me, but...If Firefox crashes and Chrome balks, whaddaya gonna do? Try another browser?

Might come down to that.:(

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
IE is extremely slow, inefficient, and difficult to navigate. Its plugins are useless and its add-ons are no better. I absolutely refuse to use Explorer, no exceptions. I'd rather use FF with its daily crashing than use IE any day.

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
I too would be looking at something in Windows that's at fault. I run Firefox on Windows 7, it's the only browser I use really and I've never had any problems.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I have Windows 8 x64 with 8GB of RAM. Now, Chrome doesn't have a 64-bit version, so I have a 32-bit copy installed, but I don't expect that would cause this issue....

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I was having this same issue with my other laptop that was running Windows 7 Ultimate x64. My desktop is running the same OS as my old laptop and hasn't had an issue (as far as I can remember)