God its hot here high 80's. Whats temp where you are?

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
Just getting back to temperatures for a moment.

-23C (-9.5F) here this morning and they are predicting -29C (-20F) tomorrow :(

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
do you guys carry on with work,what are the real pit falls of bad weather,other than

the ones we hear about. What stops you you in your tracks.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
do you guys carry on with work,what are the real pit falls of bad weather,other than

the ones we hear about. What stops you you in your tracks.
Unless we get over 6" of snow, sometimes 8", everything is business as usual. Just extreme cold doesn't stop anything, a remote car starter and/or garage are nice things this time of year (and in the summer, when it goes a few weeks at or above 100ºF)

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Nothing stops, just slows down a bit.
That sums it up. I've went to work on a snowmobile before. A high clearance 4WD winter vehicle, plus a summer car (if you don't want to climb in and out of something with 18" clearance all year).

Clients never sleep in today's world. Project deadlines need to be met, luckily, some can be done from home. I feel sorry for the direct customer support people, work there is maybe delayed once a year, cancelled once every other.

School stops or starts late depending on how many students ride bus or are dropped off by parents when the snow is deep enough to stop busses. Cold is just something you live with, and it makes for spending lots on sets of clothes/jackets/overcoats: below Zero, Zero to 40 degrees, and normal clothing.

PatM

Joined Dec 31, 2010
Temp here is 2ᵒ this morning.
The low tire pressure indicator on the dashboard is lit.
Will have to wait until next week when the temp is above freezing to add air.
Moisture in the air would freeze in the valve stem and cause a greater leak now.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
In Florida,if the a/c goes out and they say you will have to wait for a part.

What can go wrong in -2 that you can't wait,you have to depend on dual

systems or what.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
In Florida,if the a/c goes out and they say you will have to wait for a part.

What can go wrong in -2 that you can't wait,you have to depend on dual

systems or what.
Lots, in the news the other day a whole family died from cold in one house that lost gas or power somehow. I know Michigan has some weird laws because of the cold. Like you can cut someones power from like dec-mar, you can't evict someone in Nov-Feb, you can't cut the gas from Nov-Feb, stuff like that to prevent people from freezing and the shelters to fill up. This was in the 90's so it may have changed but back then thats the way it was.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Temp here is 2ᵒ this morning.
The low tire pressure indicator on the dashboard is lit.
Will have to wait until next week when the temp is above freezing to add air.
Moisture in the air would freeze in the valve stem and cause a greater leak now.
Really the only time we ever have dry air is when cold hits. Otherwise its 90+ humidity, when cold fronts blow thru it drops to 50-70.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I,m talking about some unexpected thing that you are not prepared for. In -2

or cold weather things happen,too many people in cold weather to go so smooth.

Like people dieing because of being snowed in,,slow responce..maybe that expected.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I,m talking about some unexpected thing that you are not prepared for. In -2

or cold weather thing happen,too many people in cold weather to go so smooth.

Like people dieing because of being snowed in,,slow responce..maybe that expected.
Kerosene heaters, spare fuel in tanks, fireplaces and wood, and very important: carbon monoxide detectors. More people die from using up their oxygen than those who actually freeze to death.

About 2 weeks worth minimum of food on hand all the time, in the car, a source of heat, blankets, and "3 day pack" which has chemical heat packs, light sticks, food, light, etc.

Never count on the electricity in winter, especially if it is freezing rain, so knowing how to live while camping in the same temperatures is a handy skill set to have.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
It's the dead of winter and I'm grilling out in my yard. Wearing shorts, wife-beater and flip-flops. Florida is like no place I've ever seen.