GNU radio

b1u3sf4n09

Joined May 23, 2014
Hello everyone,

https://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/WhatIsGR

I stumbled onto this earlier today, and it left me feeling the right amount of excitement and curiosity. This is a software defined radio simulation program that has been distributed under the terms of the GNU general public license. It seems like individual function blocks are available for use, but to create new blocks or to gain the full functionality of the program, familiarity with C++ and Python is required.

This seems like an excellent resource, and I'm sure other members here could put this to better use than myself. My C++ is pretty rusty, and I'm still a newbie when it comes to radio design. However, that doesn't mean that I'm not interested in making this a slightly longer term goal to investigate, after I am better at working with radio frequencies from a discreet component standpoint.

My question right now is:

Does anyone have any experience working with GNU radio that could comment on it's functionality? Is this a resource that is worth investing time and energy into, or are there better programs available?

b1u3sf4n09

Joined May 23, 2014
Very interesting. I'll have to see if my wife will let me download Gqrx on her mac. Thank you for the resources. This is some amazing stuff.