Glad I'm not a passenger

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I can tell you how an O ring brought down a space shuttle killing 7 people.

Sometimes stuff just happens.

Ron
That's what I say when I see the rusted beam above the walkway. Someday it will fall. It may hit someone. Sometimes stuff just happens. You can speak up when you see the o-ring leak when it's cold, or you can keep your mouth shut and get home from work on time.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
You can speak up when you see the o-ring leak when it's cold, or you can keep your mouth shut and get home from work on time.
Actually when I saw a problem during a test we were paid to identify it so we stayed and identified it.
That's what I say when I see the rusted beam above the walkway.
Funny you should mention that. Here I sit in the Cleveland, Ohio suburbs. Cleveland winters can be brutal and the primary weapon against snow and ice is salt. There are salt mines extending out under Lake Erie miles and miles of salt mines. Hold that thought. I was born NYC and grew up later on Long Island. Again brutal winters. The main weapon was sand. Well hell Long Island is an Island so we had plenty of sand. A road grader would flatten the snow and traffic hard packed the snow. Then dump trucks came around and dumped sand at intersections. Actually driving on hard pack snow gives not bad traction, not great but not bad. Back to Cleveland. Every winter we dump endless tons of salt on the roads and bridges. Salt is what? Oh yeah highly corrosive. Steel beams on bridges begin to corrode and chunks of concrete fall off to roadways below bridges. Some hit traffic on their way down. Additionally unless you constantly wash the undercarriage of your vehicles average life is 7 ~ 10 years as your car or truck rots away. Go figure? :)

Ron

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Past few years we have a problem with drunk drivers getting on Interstate Highways baf aft backwards as in the westbound lanes trying to go eastbound. Go figure.

Ron

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
They outsourced that. :) With the exception of NJ.

Ron
It's not that she was unwilling to pump her own gas. She was incapable.

By way of another example:

By law (ADA), stations are required to assist disabled motorists with pumping gas.

How does the complete lack of assistance for disabled motorists not result in a major lawsuit?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Nothing surprising here. When self-serve gas stations started coming in (in a major way, which was in the early to mid 1970's) there were all kinds of similar problems. People didn't know where their gas caps were (back then there were many models of cars on the road that intentionally hid them, such as behind the rear license plates, so this wasn't as absurd as it might sound at first). Different gas stations had very different pumps and people didn't know how to work them. This was also right at the time when cars requiring unleaded gas started appearing and gas stations had both ("regular" gas meant "leaded" back then) and people were always putting the wrong kind into their tanks. People went out of their way to put regular into newer cars (because it was cheaper) and quite a few put unleaded into their older cars (because they thought they were being kind to the environment).

All of these things worked themselves out and the issue with chargers will, as well.

One thing that is different, however, is this fad (and I think it will turn out to be just that) of stores and businesses having a few charging stations. This makes no sense in the long term and in the short term only makes sense if only a very few vehicles use them. In the end, the very thing that is pointed out in the video will make them go away -- places that aren't in the business of using them to produce revenue directly don't have sufficient incentive to maintain them, let alone keep them up to date with being compatible with all the various car models. As more and more EVs are on the road, more and more places will offer charging -- for a price. Those places WILL have incentive to keep their stations operating and up to date.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
By law (ADA), stations are required to assist disabled motorists with pumping gas.

How does the complete lack of assistance for disabled motorists not result in a major lawsuit?
That's really a good question. I don't know. I also wasn't aware of Oregon only NJ. I do remember when it all began most stations had self serve and full service pumps. Before my wife was totally disabled I always just gassed up her truck, never gave it a thought. I would think the ADA would figure into this but again, never thought about it. While off topic a few days ago I had a DR. appointment. Young woman came out and went down the ramp in her wheelchair. She was parked beside me. I asked if she wanted help and she said she would be OK. Alone she exited her chair, got in her car, folded the chair and got it into her car. Thanked me and drove off. One heck of a young lady.

Ron