Glad I'm not a passenger

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
My guess is that if you were still flying 50,000 air miles a year you would be able to still say the same thing -- that the vast majority of the public still has not actually witnessed such behavior.

Today we are bombarded with it because everyone has a camera and it gets filmed and posted and goes viral. Plus, with 24/7 news on umpteen different channels, every channel is always looking for anything flashy to throw at their viewer. In the 70s when it happened, there was no video of it and saying, "An unruly passenger hit a steward and was arrested," was nowhere near the threshold to warrant mentioning on the limited about of national news time available to the three major networks.

Having said that, I do think that the incident rate has gone up, just not as much as the increased coverage makes it seem.
I do believe thinking about it that would be true. Everyone has a camera.

Ron

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Maybe there are ... something happened in our western culture that made it lose its attachment to social reality. The result has been a boorish generation that has become rude, selfish and inconsiderate in the name of a misunderstood sense of honesty and "saying things as it is".
That makes good sense. I have seen a coarsening of the US culture as well.

Ron

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
In so many of those videos the accident would have been avoided had people just not been tailgating. In several of them it was a second or less from the time the car in front of them hit the brakes until the impact (or the vehicle was passed in a dodge to the side). In several others the cause was someone passing on the shoulder because they were too special to have to wait their turn to get around an accident.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
In so many of those videos the accident would have been avoided had people just not been tailgating. In several of them it was a second or less from the time the car in front of them hit the brakes until the impact
Based on the number of people getting onto the highway during rush-hour in large, densely-populated east coast cities, to allow more than one-second of trailing distance, we'd need to add some significant lengthen our highways !

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Based on the number of people getting onto the highway during rush-hour in large, densely-populated east coast cities, to allow more than one-second of trailing distance, we'd need to add some significant lengthen our highways !
Heck, just look at the PA turnpike. Entrance ramps have a stop sigh before entering 70 MPH traffic. Really short on ramps. Here in the Cleveland, Ohio suburbs we have Interstate 480 where citations are continuously written for speeds exceeding 100 MPH. This is despite law enforcement constantly working these stretches of highway. Now combine tailgating with high speeds. My wife worries every time I take the bike out for a ride and she has a point. Winters bring the entertainment to an even higher level;. :)

Ron

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
From what I know so far, this shot appears to be authentic:

1665768545780.jpg

In this case, I'd say this post's title should rather be "Sad I'm not a passenger" ;)