give me detailed tips

kagustha

Joined Jun 10, 2011
Hello,
I have an idea of starting a complete electronics (Mobiles,Laptops,desktops,Television(LCD TFT CRT), radios,VCR CD DVD Blue ray players,speakers,sub woofers etc.,)repair center.Venue of starting is a district with as usual cheating service centers among them I am going to start a trust worthy service center.I am one among the cheated customer.
Give me tips on tools and list of essential tools.
Guide me with a good brand of tools.
give me tips on how to organize the service center.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Learn a great deal of electronics. Tools help, but only go so far.

The problem with giving a customer a quote on how much it will cost to fix is this:

Until you completely repair the broken item and test that it is functioning correctly, you do not know that you fixed it. So, you need to install all new parts, then remove them and put the old ones back in to give a quote of how much it will cost to fix. Some problems that seem like a capacitor and transistor replacement would fix end up costing $100 in parts due to a cascade failure. Other times, when it looks like a mess, a board can be made to work for under $10 in parts.

Unless you have a solid understanding of the technical side of TFT LCD, Plasma displays, and Blu-Ray players, along with the most common problems endemic to each model, you won't get much fixed at all, it will be a ton of learning on your part, which means a ton of watiing on the customer's part. Customers hate waiting.

Those are all the tips I can come up with off the top of my head.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
What you are wanting to do is to set yourself up with the equipment, knowledge, and skills of an experienced trader. Unless you already have a high level of knowledge of electronic repair, you would require much training and practice to become any better than the incompetent cheats you are complaining about. The fact that you have to ask about what tools to use suggests that you may not have the necessary background.

Real repair technicians/engineers normally follow an apprenticeship or other training program extending over years. It is true that some self-taught individuals can do a surprisingly good job, but they are unusual. Such people must have a combination of strong aptitudes and interest in the subject, and typically have been dedicated to electronics as a hobby from a young age.

The equipment needed to do this work properly is also very expensive. It is not just a question of a few hand tools, a soldering iron and a meter. Depending on what you want to be able to repair, various costly items of electronic test gear will be required, like oscilloscopes, signal/function generators, power supplies...(there are many more possibilities).

Then there is the question of modern equipment and surface mount devices. Do you want to be able to work on that?
You would need magnifying aids, and special soldering tools to do it properly.

sheldons

Joined Oct 26, 2011
here customers not only dont like waiting they dont like paying sometimes either-ive been in the trade for a good few years now and having grown up with such sets as the TX100,TX10 etc(some of which are still working today).....compared to a set that will last some 20 years or so before a failure and can be repaired to component level and will last another 20 years and a set (lcd or plasma)which lasts some 18 mths before a failure and sometimes costs as much as a new one parts wise(some pcbs cannot be repaired to component level)a lot are being scrapped.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
The OP seems to be in a "third world" area where labour costs relative to purchase prices may make repair work a more profitable proposition than in (say) Europe or the USA. The proportion of older equipment, as well as cheaper less reliable models requiring more frequent repair may also be greater. Less wealthy people may be more inclined to repair things than scrap them and buy new. By the same token however, spares and test equipment may be difficult and/or expensive to obtain, and customers may not have much money to afford repairs.

I would reiterate my original point though, it is no easy thing to set up such a business.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I agree with the previous comments made.

Consumer electronics are mass produced to benefit from economies of scale.
You cannot make money repairing one unit at a time.

If an electronic gadget sells for $50 and it takes $100 to repair it what would the customer choose?

If someone brought in a radio to be repaired into my imaginary repair shop I would have to charge $50 per customer not to look at the radio but just to open a shop. Then another $50 just to look at the radio - not even begin fixing it.

(You may have noticed - I do repairs for free. I make a living doing other things.)

From your post I gather that you do not have enough knowledge and experience to do this.