Ghost Threads & Moved Threads

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Not trying to memberate and not sure what software powers these forums but using this thread as an example can "Ghost Threads" be used? When a thread is moved or relocated to another forum section is it possible to leave a ghost? A ghost being a link to where the thread was moved to. In the example the original poster came back looking for his thread and apparently couldn't find it. Fortunately Bertus left him a link to the thread's new home. I do realize that email notifications will link to a thread but apparently not everyone includes email notifications when joining the forums. When a thread is moved or relocated it would seem to make sense to leave behind a link to the point of relocation. Anyway I was just curious as to why AAC doesn't seem to use this practice?

Ron

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Hello Ron:
I did a tested to test the alerts when we move a thread from one forum to another forum, dose the system will send a alerts to the TS or not, and it really did, and I am already sent a PM to asked Robesim dose he get a alerts with the new destination forum or not, probably he just missed to read the alerts, I'm waiting for his reply, if he give me the reply then I will post it at here.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Yes, bertus left the links of his old thread in his new thread.
I just want to make sure that does he receive the alerts or not or he just didn't read it.
You got me Scott, I don't know. Hey, you placed the effort in. That's about all you can do.

Ron

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
You got me Scott, I don't know. Hey, you placed the effort in. That's about all you can do.

Ron
I have been moved the threads from one forum to another forum over two hundred and more, but never heard the members saying that they can't find their thread or missing, this is the first times, so I want to know that the problem is in the system or just @Robesim missed to read the alerts, if I can't get the reply then we will never know the answer, and thank you for your help.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Scott, when I did this years ago in a large computer forum our moderator control panel gave us the option of leaving behind a ghost which left the moved thread with a link from it's original location to the new location. The problem we had was not all members signed up for email notifications. They would just return to the forums and look for their original thread where they originally put it. If I did not leave a "ghost" they could not find their original thread. Leaving a ghost link they would see the thread was moved and could just click the link. I haven't a clue if the moderator's control panel in this forum is similar. This was my original question as to Ghost Threads and Moved Threads. More a curiosity on my part as there seems a need to frequently move threads in this forum. :)

Ron

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Hi Ron:
When we want to move a thread then the system will give us two options, the default options were chose below, we almost just chose the default options, so the TS and the Participants will receive the alerts from system with the links of new destination forum, this is only you can see when you login to AAC, another way is the Email notification, that is to let you know, there is a thread that you participate is move to another forum, but you unnecessary to login to AAC to check, if you have use the smartphone and gmail then you will receive a notice alarm from gmail, and that is very convenience,
  • Notify members watching the destination forum
  • Notify thread starter of this action. Reason:
-- Move to the right forum. (when I move it then I will write it down as left sentence)

I was asked another moderator to help me to move The Testing thread from General Electronics Chat forum to the Off-Topic forum, so I will get a real alerts when other moderators move my thread then the system will give me an alerts and that is the same as when I move the thread and how the member will get the alerts from system.

Through the testing and I got two alert that the system noticed me there was a thread that I participated was moved to the Off-Topic forum, the one with the moderator's Avatar, but another one the Avatar is setup by default, I'm not sure why the system sent two alert, I think it just the system working that way to avoid missing any messages.

The thread moving testing.