Getting started

gandalf_12

Joined Jan 11, 2018
Hey guys,
recently i decided to start building up my electronics knowledge. I've been studying the subject for quite enough time but i feel like i have a lot more to learn. The problem is the books I've been trying to read don't really touch each subject to the details, and won't really make me understand and want to read further. I wish you can help me find books/ materials that will be interesting and help me understand and move on with the subject.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
You're gonna have to be a lot more specific than that. You could make the same statement on any subject.

Electronics has so many special fields now. What particular aspect are you concerned with?

Parth786

Joined Jun 19, 2017
Hey guys,
recently i decided to start building up my electronics knowledge. I've been studying the subject for quite enough time but i feel like i have a lot more to learn. The problem is the books I've been trying to read don't really touch each subject to the details, and won't really make me understand and want to read further. I wish you can help me find books/ materials that will be interesting and help me understand and move on with the subject.
Electronics is very interesting field. If you read the books then you get the knowledge of theory. Theory knowledge is very impotent to implement any Practical project. When you understand the basic then try to make project.

Have you ever turn ON LED with a help of resistor. I am sure you have studied basic KVL and KCL law and resistor, LED. Lets suppose you have 9v DC battery, RED LED and you want resistor to turn ON LED because if you don't use the Resistor then Your LED will be damage. So just apply basics and calculate the value of resistor then try to implement practically

like shown in following pictures

upload_2018-1-12_0-13-34.png

I have shown you just simple example so if you have knowledge about the basics of component then you can make analog circuits like Amplifier, Power supply..etc If you have knowledge about basic gates and flip flop then you can make Adders, counter...etc. if you have knowledge about micro-controller and programming then you can program written any language like c , c++, python

I strongly believe that If you study theory and then try to make it, I think you will never forget things

Just remember "The beginning is always the hardest things in life"

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

Learning electronics just by reading will be an arduous endeavor because no book is likely to go into the detail you need or desire. That's what instructors are for.

If you don't understand what was written in the book, instructors can elaborate and/or paraphrase so you do.

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
Not answering to your question directly, in my humble opinion, unless you are learning RF in the high GHz range, or high power stuff, just build some stuff.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Best book you will ever find to start your journey:

Understanding Basic Electronics (Publication No. 159 of the Radio Amateur's Library)

ISBN-13: 978-0872593985
ISBN-10: 0872593983

Find it on Amazon, or ask them to order it via the ISBN number from your local bookseller, or check it out from your local library if they have it.

gandalf_12

Joined Jan 11, 2018
You're gonna have to be a lot more specific than that. You could make the same statement on any subject.

Electronics has so many special fields now. What particular aspect are you concerned with?
Thanks for the kind note, ofc i should be more specific. I have a kinda wide specter of knowledge, from Digital electronics(binary,gates,ADC and etc), to Analogue electronics(trans,circles, amplifiers, capacitor and etc). I'm good with building and have the equipment if any practical examples. I've read books dealing with basic components and circles maybe a little bit complicated as well as electronic communication(the book was very bad and i understood only the material I've already known.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
"The problem is the books I've been trying to read don't really touch each subject to the details, and won't really make me understand and want to read further."

I still don't understand what you mean. Tell me some details that you do not understand.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Well, there's always google. I find that just about anything you might be interested in is covered there, or youtube. The amount of information available to you is limited only by your ability to look for it-- like the rest of us did.

gandalf_12

Joined Jan 11, 2018
"The problem is the books I've been trying to read don't really touch each subject to the details, and won't really make me understand and want to read further."

I still don't understand what you mean. Tell me some details that you do not understand.
I mean in example i read a book about electronic communication, and there was a chapter about oscillators there were some pictures and a brief text of description of the principle of creating vibrations, this was hard for me to understand and the description because the book didn't really explain each step and just jumped from a thing to thing. Sorry if it's no so clear but i tried my best :)

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
It sounds like perhaps you are not ready for the books you are trying to read. A book on electronic communication (one that deals with the electronic circuits for accomplishing it) is likely to assume you already are pretty proficient in the analysis and design of more fundamental circuits.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I understand what you mean. Did you understand the chapter before the oscillator chapter? That's the way that you have to study and learn electronics. You just can't jump ahead to something that interest you. If you could....everyone would know electronics. You have to study the old boring stuff......before you can understand the neat stuff.

I would say tell us the book you are reading.......start reading chapter 1........when you hit something you don't understand.....come here and post.

EDIT: You'll have a lot to learn.....to understand oscillators.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I would say tell us the book you are reading.......start reading chapter 1........when you hit something you don't understand.....come here and post.
Which is not to say that there aren't really bad books out there -- there ARE!

But if you tell us what book you are trying to use, it is very likely that some here have it or have some exposure to it and can give you some thoughts on whether it is a great book, a so-so book, or a horrible book.