Getting started with a hot air station.

Yami

Joined Jan 18, 2016
Hi guys, recently I got myself a hot air station to get started on SMD rework. I have been referring to a lot of online resources and have been practicing on scrap boards. However I noticed that removing components from certain boards are particularly hard. I'm assuming that on those boards the components were wave soldered on (not so sure though).
The setting I have set on my station is ~350 degree Celsius and the fan at around half. Could you please suggest or give tips on where to set the parameters at.
With these 'difficult' boards I tired increasing the temperature to 420 degree Celsius and then it seems to work, but not all the time. Would it be ok to go this high, generally speaking? How can you determine or know what temperature to use?
What effect does changing the air flow speed have?
In other words what the significance of this parameter?
I noticed that under some components there were some flux like residue when removed from the board. What could it be? Could it be simply flux left over or glue? I would have included a picture but its not clearly visible.
Lastly the nozzle size, can using a wrong size have an effect on the result on the work?
Anymore tips/advice/suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
I use 350-450:eek: depending on what i'm working on and what nozzle tip I'm using. Many will probably consider 400+ to high and that you will burn up chips and blah blah etc... Air speed depends on your machine I guess. I have one I keep at 50% and one I keep at 100% yet the speeds are about the same. Just barley enough to not blow 0805's away if I'm placing them.

I usually hold the nozzle at an angle and do circular motions around (or just back and forth for small stuff) what i am working on. I tend to not hold the air in one place very long so the high heat is really not that big of an issue.. Also use a dull xacto or your tweezers to scrape at the joints helps a lot.

many smd components also have some type of epoxy holding them down which makes it not want to come off as easy as you think it should sometimes.

Last edited: