Getting rid of acidic smell

varden

Joined Jul 11, 2016
Hi. A few months ago I prepared a pcb(H2O2 + HCl + Cu method) for my school project and afterwards I put it in the box where my other electronic equipments are standing. While ago I relaized all my equipments heavily smell acidic. I can't use any of my sensor cards, arduino boards, programmers etc. because after a short time, I feel burning sense in my eyes and lungs due to acidic smell. How do I get rid of this smell?
I already throw away pcb and changed box, I put all equipments on balcony and left them for days. I tried to clean them with wet fabric. Nothing worked. Can anyone help me with this?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Wash with a solution of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) in water. Then rinse well with water. A tablespoon or two in a quart of warm water should suffice. If for some reason you can't use water, there are other possibilities alternatives.

Last edited:

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Add Acetic Acid to get rid of acid??? No, just sodium bicarbonate and water for a washdown solution. For fumes/vapor just put sprinkle some bicarb on a plate near the source. Ummm... and this is a necropost...

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
RE:""How do I get rid of this smell?""
I would be more concerned how to get away those chemical rust imminent already soaked into Your sensor cards, arduino boards, programmers etc. Probably day long immersion into distillate may help? With sequential vacuum-drying.

varden

Joined Jul 11, 2016
Guys I don't know why this topic became active again but smell is long gone :D I just used baking soda and warm water, also cards seem to working well.

Pour a few inches of baking soda into shallow bowls and leave them uncovered around the odorous rooms of the house for a few days. Baking soda is great for absorbing the smells, but it doesn't happen instantly. -Combine with vinegar and use it in lieu of soapy water to scrub down particularly odorous surfaces.