Getting old need simple bass attenuator for headphones

chucknnc

Joined Feb 12, 2015
Lost alot of high freq hearing over the decades , everything sounds as it has to much bass. Now I need something for listening to voice audio books through earpod type headphones, need a simple circuit to attenuate the bass. Have plenty of volume so passive type filter would work fine.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
If the audio source is an sending it to your Bluetooth headphones, the easiest solution is an app supplied by the headphone manufacturer. Jaba has some headphones that allow frequency equalization.

The easiest solution (BY FAR) is to break the air seal on the ear buds and your ear canal. This can reduce bass and make listening to voice much more enjoyable. Some producers of audio books think the are making a concert tape and all the bass gets very tiresome.

Here is a tutorial you can try with your earbuds. Essentially just adding a shim between the silicone bud and the rigid body of your headphones to break the air seal. Easy.

https://www.audioreviews.org/removing-and-adding-bass/

chucknnc

Joined Feb 12, 2015
If the audio source is an sending it to your Bluetooth headphones, the easiest solution is an app supplied by the headphone manufacturer. Jaba has some headphones that allow frequency equalization.

The easiest solution (BY FAR) is to break the air seal on the ear buds and your ear canal. This can reduce bass and make listening to voice much more enjoyable. Some producers of audio books think the are making a concert tape and all the bass gets very tiresome.

Here is a tutorial you can try with your earbuds. Essentially just adding a shim between the silicone bud and the rigid body of your headphones to break the air seal. Easy.

https://www.audioreviews.org/removing-and-adding-bass/
Not bluetooth, I meant the in the ear type, not the over the ear DJ type headphones

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Lost alot of high freq hearing over the decades , everything sounds as it has to much bass. Now I need something for listening to voice audio books through earpod type headphones, need a simple circuit to attenuate the bass. Have plenty of volume so passive type filter would work fine.
You can change the sleeves to produce less bass.
I had the opposite problem....I needed more bass (for performing). I just changed the sleeves to give a better seal in my ear canal.
The sleeves come in different sizes. All you need is a loose fitting set of sleeves.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Reducing the bass seems like the wrong solution to me. If you are not hearing the high frequencies, boost the highs. This allows you to turn down the overall volume, reducing the bass.

Bob