Getting my engraving to engrave between the lines?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I got such great help on drafting and routing and such here before I figured I would ask this,,

So I have the following I want to engrave. I need to have the space between the lines in the numbers transparent. The original idea was to paint a piece of Lexan black, lightly engrave the outlines then manually scrap the paint between the lines. But I was wondering if there was a better way. Maybe to get the router to do it for me?

I suppose I could simply use a wider bit and use a stick font instead but nit sure I would get the results I want.

The software I used is called F-Engrave. It can be found here.

http://www.scorchworks.com/Fengrave/fengrave_doc.html

It has two modes. Engrave and V-Carve. I am not exactly sure what the differences are but the V-Carve mode locks the line thickness setting and requires that you enter tool settings. Where engrave does not take any tool settings other than depth, engraving speed etc.

upload_2018-1-30_21-56-14.png

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Is your engraver using a diamond drag tool or a single fluted cutter with a nose on a micrometer barrel? V-carve sounds like the result you get with a single fluted cutter. This method is common with laminate plastic of different colors. When the depth is very shallow the font may actually have multiple passes of the cutter to make a single stroke of the symbol.

Making room signs for a hospital we would use a New Hermes font called 4-line Hlevetica.