Getting Mindwave Mobile's Frame for Attention and Meditation Values

carloszoom3000

Joined Oct 14, 2015
Hi,

I have a Mindwave Mobile (that takes EEG values. Not at a medical level), which i'm connecting to a HC-05 bluetooth module that goes to an Arduino UNO.
The idea is to get the attention and meditation values that the Mindwave captures and display them.
I'm visualizing the frame from Mindwave through the serial port (I use RealTerm for that).
There are 2 frames that the device should display.
512 Hz and 1 Hz.
The one at 1 Hz is the one that shows the attention and meditation values, but for some reason, i'm always getting the one at 512 Hz.
I have already tried setting the device back to the factory settings and the results are the same.

Here's the frame's information provided by the manufacturer.
http://developer.neurosky.com/docs/...mmunications_protocol#thinkgear_command_bytes

I've seen projects that claim that it works fine for them, but this is not my case.

I appreciate your help.

Regards,

Hi,

I have a Mindwave Mobile (that takes EEG values. Not at a medical level), which i'm connecting to a HC-05 bluetooth module that goes to an Arduino UNO.
The idea is to get the attention and meditation values that the Mindwave captures and display them.
I'm visualizing the frame from Mindwave through the serial port (I use RealTerm for that).
There are 2 frames that the device should display.
512 Hz and 1 Hz.
The one at 1 Hz is the one that shows the attention and meditation values, but for some reason, i'm always getting the one at 512 Hz.
I have already tried setting the device back to the factory settings and the results are the same.

Here's the frame's information provided by the manufacturer.
http://developer.neurosky.com/docs/...mmunications_protocol#thinkgear_command_bytes

I've seen projects that claim that it works fine for them, but this is not my case.

I appreciate your help.

Regards,
You have not given us a whole lot to go on. I'm not familiar with this product and can't advise you with any confidence at all, but did you read this in the documentation link that you provided?

For TGEM the output of this Data Value is disabled by default. When enabled, the RAW Wave Value is typically outputted 128 times a second, or approximately once every 7.8ms. The ThinkGear ASIC (TGAT/TGAM1), however, outputs this value 512 times a second, or approximately once every 2ms. And it is usually turned on by default. The default can be adjusted at the module level, so please consult the spec sheet for more details.

With that as a clue, look over whatever they mean by the spec sheet searching for adjusting that default value. Then look at those projects that claim it works for them with an eye toward seeing how they adjusted the default. That is the direction that I would go.

Edit: IOW can you turn off the 512Hz signal that is on by default.

Last edited: